Possible strike action looms at Charlotte Maxeke hospital

Patients at Charlotte Maxeke hospital in Johannesburg may be at risk as healthcare workers are threatening to down tools on Wednesday, said the Democratic Alliance in a statement on Tuesday.

The proposed shutdown is in protest for not being properly compensated for working extra hours, said the DA’s Jack Bloom.

Nehawu, the department of health and the Charlotte Maxeke hospital could not immediately be reached for comment.

Bloom said he is “extremely concerned” saying the threats are “causing anxiety” among employees and patients in the hospital.

The protest will include workers from last week’s protest action at the hospital including nurses, general employees, porters and other members of the National Education and Health And Workers’ Union. Last week, the group “trashed” the hospital after not receiving overtime payments and bonuses, Bloom said.


He said he believed the national department of health needed to take more stringent action to prevent the strike from occurring as it will put the lives of patients at risk.

“Every effort should be made to maintain health services and resolve worker grievances peacefully and speedily … Further disruption of this major hospital will have a horrendous effect on the welfare of patients.”

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Related stories

Advertising
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday