Get more Mail & Guardian
Subscribe or Login

Sassa cancels tender process to find CPS replacement

The South African Social Security Agency (Sassa) has cancelled the tender process to find a replacement for Cash Paymaster Services (CPS), court papers show.

Sassa’s invalid contract with CPS was extended for six months by the Constitutional Court in March, so that CPS could continue to operate the cash portion of the grants system until a replacement was found.

Social Development Minister Susan Shabangu had initially “suspended” the tender process in late April due to “challenges” in the advertisement.

READ MORE: Shabangu suspends new grant payment tender

Court papers filed to the ConCourt on Friday show that new acting Sassa CEO Abraham Mahlangu cancelled the tender process to find a new service provider on May 15, following various “technical problems” inherent in the tender advertisement.

Instead, Shabangu will set up a “technical committee” to explore and recommend alternatives to the cash payment of social grants, the papers read.

The technical committee will “advise on matters relating to the transition from CPS and the appropriate governance dispensation of Sassa, with the ultimate purpose of ensuring that the orders of the Court are fully complied with,” Shabangu’s papers read.

Shabangu explained that the various department work streams, CSIR reports and ministerial advisory committee reports over the last few years could not assist Sassa in taking over the grants system from CPS in full, leading to the various extensions.

“A need therefore exists for a technical committee to be established to inter alia consolidate, analyse and evaluate all the reports produced by the different entities and to make recommendations on the basis of the immediate, medium and long-term strategic outlook and the overall impact this will have on Sassa.”

It will “also assist Sassa with the implentation of alternatives to the cash payment services”, and be operational for a period of 12 months.

The five members on the technical committee will include:

  • Dipuo Peters: Former minister of transport and former premier of the Northern Cape.
  • Vusi Madonsela: Director general of the department of justice and constitutional development and former DG of the department of social development.
  • Totsie Memela: Former managing director of Post Bank and executive officer of the Women’s Development Bank Trust.
  • Selwyn Jehoma: Former director general of the department of social development.
  • Sipho Shezi: Former special adviser to the former minister of social development.

“An update on the technical committee will be included in my report that is due at the end of May 2018,” Shabangu concluded in the papers to the ConCourt.

“I am mindful of the 30 September 2018 deadline and I have every intention to ensure compliance thereof.

“I further remain committed to ensuring that Sassa realises its objective to ensure the uninterrupted payment of social grants to beneficiaries.”

Shabangu herself raised issues with the tender process three weeks ago, initially suspending the process pending further consultations.

The news of its complete cancellation raises renewed doubts about Sassa’s ability to find an alternative for CPS by September, if it eventually opts to advertise a new tender.

Acting Sassa spokesperson Kgomotso Diseko told News24 that the minister’s technical team was now handling the issue, and the re-advertisement of the tender was not imminent.

Black Sash ― the initial complainants in the matter in the Constitutional Court ― had previously raised questions about Shabangu’s decision to initially suspend the tender three weeks ago.

The new developments once again raises serious questions over whether there will be even more delays to find a CPS replacement, Black Sash national advocacy manager Hoodah Abrahams-Fayker told News24 on Tuesday. 

The NGO would release a full formal statement later on Tuesday, she added.

Sassa and Shabangu was in Parliament on Tuesday before the standing committee on public accounts (Scopa) to account for irregular expenditure amounting to R1.3-billion.

The issue of the cancelled tender did not come up in the meeting. ― News24

Subscribe to the M&G

Thanks for enjoying the Mail & Guardian, we’re proud of our 36 year history, throughout which we have delivered to readers the most important, unbiased stories in South Africa. Good journalism costs, though, and right from our very first edition we’ve relied on reader subscriptions to protect our independence.

Digital subscribers get access to all of our award-winning journalism, including premium features, as well as exclusive events, newsletters, webinars and the cryptic crossword. Click here to find out how to join them.

Paul Herman
Paul Herman works from London. London based Songwriter/Producer. Paul has written songs for Artists like Dido, Emeli Sande, Corinne Bailey Rae, Eminem, Izzy Bizu, Raleigh Ritchie... Paul Herman has over 260 followers on Twitter.

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

If you’re reading this, you clearly have great taste

If you haven’t already, you can subscribe to the Mail & Guardian for less than the cost of a cup of coffee a week, and get more great reads.

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Subscribers only

Mbeki tells ANC that land without compensation goes against the...

‘This would be a very serious disincentive to investment,’ says Thabo Mbeki in a document arguing that the ANC should not proceed with the Constitutional amendment of section 25

Micro-hydropower lights up an Eastern Cape village

There is hidden potential for small hydropower plants in South Africa

More top stories

Gigaba says it was ‘an unfortunate coincidence’ SOEs were captured...

The former public enterprises minister says he was at a deliberate remove from state companies’ dealings and could not have learned of the looting

SIU freezes R22-million in Digital Vibes accounts

The Special Investigating Unit said it would ask the tribunal to declare the health department’s contract with the company unlawful

Life-saving free train travel offered to domestic abuse victims in...

A pioneering railway scheme in the UK is helping domestic violence victims to escape their abusers by providing them with free travel to reach refuge

Oral submissions to inquiry on local government elections start next...

The hearings will be open to the media and the public, under strict level-three regulations
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×