‘SA health system is not collapsing’ – Motsoaledi

The national health department has sent 200 senior managers, doctors and nurses to help manage hospitals nationwide, health minister Aaron Motsoaledi announced on Tuesday.

During a press conference in Pretoria, Motsoaledi denied media reports that the country’s health system is facing total collapse. The North West is the only province in which healthcare services have broken down, he said.

“Our health system is still able to look after the largest number of HIV-positive people globally.”

Watch: “Has the system collapsed? I am not here to challenge that because I do not know the yardstick”

South Africa’s HIV programme is the world’s largest with more than 4-million people on antiretroviral treatment in the country.


He admitted however, that South Africa’s health system was “going through hard times” with overcrowding and treatment backlogs at hospitals on the increase.

Motsoaledi expressed shock in finding around 70 babies in the neonatal ward at Gauteng’s Tembisa Hospital, which was built to house just 40 newborns.

“We are painfully aware of the lack of management skills in most of our hospitals.”

The health minister believes the 200 hospital deployees would minimise waiting times and improve facility management. The officials will remain at healthcare facilities for a trial period until the end of June.

Most of South Africa’s healthcare woes can be linked to staff shortages amid growing patient numbers, Motsoaledi said. Meanwhile, the national health department will pursue private-public partners to help lessen patient loads at hospitals. The department will contract 250 private GPs to treat around 50 000 people living with HIV. The government will be contracting private cancer specialists to help address backlogs in cancer treatment.

Last year, the department launched a similar plan in KwaZulu-Natal. The University of the Witwatersrand-owned Wits Health Consortium was awarded a six-month contract to provide cancer treatment services in the province. The province has battled a dire shortage of cancer treatment specialists, forcing patients to wait up to 12 months to see a doctor, a South African Human Rights Commission hearing into the crisis found in May.

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever. But it comes at a cost. Advertisers are cancelling campaigns, and our live events have come to an abrupt halt. Our income has been slashed.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years. We’ve survived thanks to the support of our readers, we will need you to help us get through this.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Joan van Dyk
Joan Van Dyk
Joan van Dyk graduated with an honours degree in journalism from Stellenbosch University in 2017. She was the top performing student in the class of 2016.
Bhekisisa team
Bhekisisa Team
Health features and news from across Africa by Bhekisisa, the Mail & Guardian's health journalism centre.
Advertising

Ramaphosa asks all South Africans to help to avoid 50...

Calling this ‘the gravest crisis in the history of our democracy’, the president said level three lockdown remains, but enforcement will be strengthened

Reinstated Ingonyama Trust managers hit with retrenchment notices

The effect of Covid-19 and the land reform department’s freeze of R23-million because the ITB didn’t comply with budget submissions are cited as some of the reasons for the staff cuts

Battle over R6bn workers’ retirement fund

Allegations from both sides tumble out in court papers

Nigeria’s anti-corruption boss arrested for corruption

Ibrahim Magu’s arrest by the secret police was a surprise — but also not surprising
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday