Skwatsha: Western Cape could be testing ground for land expropriation

Deputy Minister of Rural Development and Land Reform Mcebisi Skwatsha has said government is considering expropriating land without compensation to assist more than 20 000 farm dwellers facing eviction in the Drakenstein municipality.

“Depending on the attitudes of the farm owners, we might want to test whether this could be a case to consider expropriation without compensation in the Western Cape,” Skwatsha said after visiting the homes of several families facing eviction in Simondium on Monday, according to a GroundUp report.

At an indaba on farm evictions hosted by the South African Human Rights Commission in April, Drakenstein municipal manager Lauren Waring acknowledged that the municipality had become “a hotspot for evictions” with an estimated 20 000 people affected by 1 127 pending eviction matters at the time. The commission said then that it would write to President Cyril Ramaphosa asking for a moratorium on farm evictions.

Last week, more than 200 members of the Women on Farms Project and farmworkers marched to the offices of Agri-Western Cape.

They were calling for better wages, an end to forced evictions and harsh punishment for farmers who do not adhere to health and safety regulations.


On Monday, Skwatsha told GroundUp that he had contacted Women on Farms Project to arrange the visits to the affected households after hearing that thousands of vulnerable people were facing evictions in the area.

“In Parliament we are busy strengthening the legislation around the Extension of Security of Tenure Act (ESTA). What really alarmed me and others in my department was the fact that around 20 000 people are facing eviction in this municipality.

‘Where must they go?’

“Freedom doesn’t come in one day, but we have to force that something is done soon. I came here to listen and I do feel their pain,” he said.

Skwatsha said he would meet farm owners in the area soon to discuss the living conditions and evictions of farm dwellers.

Outside the homes of farm dwellers on an estate in Simondium, Ida Plaatjies told Skwatsha that the new owner would soon install access control gates on the property and had told parents that their adult children were no longer welcome.

“We used to work hard on this farm until we were retrenched in 1999. Nothing happened on the farm for 11 years and most of us couldn’t find work again. Now this farmer wants to evict us. He says our children who were born here can’t stay with us anymore. Where must they go?”

She said living conditions on the estate were getting worse.

“We are so many households that have to share these portable toilets so I still use a bucket.”

‘We are getting ready to take what belongs to us’

At Simondium Community Hall Skwatsha heard complaints by farmworkers and farm dwellers from across the Western Cape.

Eighteen-year-old Chandre Cloete broke down in tears as she spoke about how her family’s recent eviction from a farm in Soetendal had affected her.

“I was on my way home from school when I saw all the trucks and our things outside,” she said.

“The place they moved us to isn’t safe. On the farm we could walk around. Most of us young people don’t go to school anymore,” she said.

Elizabeth Domingo from Wolseley said: “I must be out of the house my family has lived in for 44 years in September. ESTA doesn’t work for farmworkers because the farmers are using it to get us out so they can build big guesthouses. It’s not right. I will fight for my land,” she said.

Naomi Betana, a paralegal worker at Witzenberg Rural Development Centre, told Skwatsha that people were tired of waiting and wanted government to intervene as a matter of urgency.

She said “the trend” by landowners in Witzenberg was to cut off electricity and water to households in a bid to drive them off the property.

“We are tired and on that basis we are going to take land. We need you [Skwatsha] to tell the landowners that we are getting ready and organised to take what belongs to us,” she said. — GroundUp

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Related stories

Advertising

Subscribers only

How smuggled gold destined for Dubai or Singapore has links...

Three Malagasy citizens were apprehended at OR Tambo International airport, but now the trail is found to connect to France and Mali

How lottery execs received dubious payments through a private company

The National Lottery Commission is being investigated by the SIU for alleged corruption and maladministration, including suspicious payments made to senior NLC employees between 2016 and 2017

More top stories

BMW X7: Is this the peak of our greed?

Even next to its luxury peers, the seven-seat behemoth is a little too much

Africa and the US under the Biden administration: A response...

A democratic administration is likely to revert to the US’s default position on global affairs, which doesn’t leave much for Africa to celebrate

Mpumalanga premier fined for attending Mthembu funeral without a mask

Refilwe Mtsweni-Tsipane goes into isolation and pledges to buy 1000 masks to show her ‘remorse’

Searching for Chippo: How experts have been tracking the elusive...

There have long been sightings of hippos in the city’s leafy northern suburbs, says a specialist team
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…