Get more Mail & Guardian
Subscribe or Login

Public protector: Limpopo deputy speaker to pay back phone bill

Public protector Busisiwe Mkhwebane has recommended that deputy speaker of Limpopo provincial legislature Lehlogonolo Masoga pay pack a portion of an alleged R125 000 cellphone bill.

The announcement was one of the highlights as the public protector released seven reports in Pretoria on Monday afternoon. She said an eighth will be released on Tuesday morning.

READ MORE: Spooks inside Public Protector’s office

Complaints alleged Masoga racked up an exorbitant telephone bill of while on a trip to the United States. In 2015, the City Press reported that the bulk of the R125 000 bill came from from watching porn. Masoga has so far vociferously denied the accusation.

“The allegation that the deputy speaker incurred an exorbitant or unreasonable mobile telephone bill whilst on an official trip in the United States in August 2014 is substantiated,” she said. “The actual total bill incurred for the month of August was R138 701.99 which was inclusive of subscription services‚ roaming data usage‚ international roaming services‚ domestic data usage and value-added tax.”

“The allegation that the amount spent by the deputy speaker whilst on an official trip to the US was exorbitant or unreasonable is substantiated.”

The first report released regarded tender irregularities in a Northern Cape municipality. “I investigated alleged irregular and improper awarding of a security tender to Ikgodiseng Business Consulting CC by the Ga-Segonyana Municipality,” she said.

“The municipal manager must also consider taking appropriate disciplinary action, within 30 days from receiving my report, against all the bid adjudication committee members who were responsible for exposing the Municipality to acts of maladministration and financial risk.”

READ MORE: Public Protector admits to leaving out information from Vrede report

The City of Tshwane meanwhile was investigated for unfair labour practices in 2009. Mkhwebane recommended that the complainant in the latter, a paramedic, should be paid almost a year’s salary with 55% per annum interest. The City of Tshwane must also apologise.

A report into maladministration at the SA Nuclear Energy Corporation was also released.

See the full article on Mkhwebane’s Helen Zille recommendations HERE.

Subscribe to the M&G

Thanks for enjoying the Mail & Guardian, we’re proud of our 36 year history, throughout which we have delivered to readers the most important, unbiased stories in South Africa. Good journalism costs, though, and right from our very first edition we’ve relied on reader subscriptions to protect our independence.

Digital subscribers get access to all of our award-winning journalism, including premium features, as well as exclusive events, newsletters, webinars and the cryptic crossword. Click here to find out how to join them.

Luke Feltham

Luke Feltham runs the Mail & Guardian's sports desk. He was previously the online day editor.

Related stories

Advertising

Subscribers only

Soweto teacher dismissed for the alleged repeated rape of a...

The learner was 13 when the alleged rapes started, and they continued for two years until she asked to be moved to another school

First-of-its-kind rangeland atlas pushes for protection

Rangelands are ‘nature’s gift to humanity’, but have been overlooked, neglected

More top stories

Court refused murder-acused Kilian’s application for particulars, bail dates are...

Zane Kilian has been denied further information into the charges against him, which include murder, unlawful interception of communications and fraud

Soweto teacher dismissed for the alleged repeated rape of a...

The learner was 13 when the alleged rapes started, and they continued for two years until she asked to be moved to another school

MKMVA accuse top six of being factional in collapsed meeting

A defiant MKMVA has vowed it is business as usual, after a meeting with the top six ended with the military veterans being kicked out of the virtual platform

Gumede graft trial likely to begin only in July next...

The state has added racketeering to the charges faced by the former eThekwini mayor and 21 others, but logistics are likely to delay their trial until mid-2022
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×