US Open to revamp seedings for pregnancy absences — report

The US Open will start considering pregnancy situations when making seedings so players aren’t penalised for starting families, US Tennis Association president Katrina Adams said in a New York Times report Saturday.

The change comes after criticism of French Open officials for how they handled the case of former world number one Serena Williams in her Grand Slam return last month after giving birth to a daughter last September.

“It’s the right thing to do for these mothers that are coming back,” Adams told the Times.

“We think it’s a good message for our current female players and future players. It’s OK to go out and be a woman and become a mother and then come back to your job and I think that’s a bigger message.”

While making no promises about where 23-time Grand Slam singles champion Williams might be seeded, Adams said the Open would “revise the seedings if pregnancy is a factor in the current rankings of a player.”


That’s the situation for Williams, who was not given a seeded spot by French Open officials. She withdrew with an injury before a scheduled fourth-round match with Maria Sharapova.

Williams, ranked 183rd, is a seven-time Wimbledon champion who will learn Wednesday whether or not she will be seeded for next month’s Grand Slam grass showdown in England.

The WTA Tour does not have protected seedings for players who return from absences, although it offers protected rankings to enter up to eight events a year in such situations.

“I get it. I would not want to be the number 32 player in the world who has worked hard in the last year to obtain this ranking,” said Adams, herself a former player.

“But we’re a Grand Slam and we have the right and the opportunity to seed the players according to what we feel is justified.”

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Agency
External source

Related stories

Advertising

Subscribers only

Poachers in prisons tell their stories

Interviews with offenders provide insight into the structure of illegal wildlife trade networks

Covid-overflow hospital in ruins as SIU investigates

A high-level probe has begun into hundreds of millions of rand spent by the Gauteng health department to refurbish a hospital that is now seven months behind schedule – and lying empty

More top stories

The politics of the Zuma-Zondo showdown

Any move made by the Zondo commission head or by former president Jacob Zuma must be calculated, because one mistake from either side could lead to a political fallout

Museveni declared winner of disputed Uganda election

Security personnel out in force as longtime president wins sixth term and main challenger Bobi Wine alleges rigging.

Pay-TV inquiry probes the Multichoice monopoly

Africa’s largest subscription television operator says it is under threat amid the emerging popularity of global platforms like Netflix and Amazon Prime

​No apology or comfort as another Marikana mother dies without...

Nomawethu Ma’Bhengu Sompeta, whose funeral will be held this weekend, was unequivocal in calling out the government for its response to the Marikana massacre
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…