Moyane ready for court battle to stop SARS inquiry

Tom Moyane’s lawyer has confirmed that the suspended commissioner will ask the courts to stop the South African Revenue Service (SARS) inquiry if the president rejects their request.

Moyane’s lawyer Eric Mabuza was speaking to eNCA on the sidelines of the inquiry on Monday. Fin24 had reported earlier that the inquiry would go on despite objections from Moyane’s team that it be halted pending the outcome of his disciplinary hearing.

READ MORE: How Moyane led Sars to brink of ruin

Judge Robert Nugent had said that the inquiry could not dissolve itself as it was established by presidential proclamation.

Mabuza told eNCA that he anticipated the judge to say that he did not have power to make the rulings on matters raised by Advocate Dali Mpofu on Friday.


“Our next point would be to take the issue up with the president. As we heard the judge say he did not appoint himself. So we will go to the decision maker who appointed the judge to raise the very issues that we’ve raised before the judge.”

He added that the team has been instructed by Moyane to escalate the matter to the courts if the president rejects the submission. “We had to raise the issue internally to the judge before taking it to the president,” he explained.

Nugent criticised the submissions by Moyane’s team as being littered with “abuse, invective and sinister suggestion”. To this Mabuza said he did not want to impugn the integrity of the judiciary and that it is unfortunate that the judge was “personal” about the counsel.

READ MORE: Former treasury official dismisses Moyane’s ‘trillion rand man’ claim to fame

Mabuza said that Advocate Mpofu would defend himself against the personal attacks.

Mabuza is yet to respond to Fin24’s queries, as is the Presidency’s spokesperson Khusela Diko. — Fin24

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever. But it comes at a cost. Advertisers are cancelling campaigns, and our live events have come to an abrupt halt. Our income has been slashed.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years. We’ve survived thanks to the support of our readers, we will need you to help us get through this.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Lameez Omarjee
Lameez Omarjee
Parliamentary reporter at Fin24.com
Advertising

Only three grades to return to school on Monday

Only grades six, 11 and R will return to school as expected, with the rest to be phased in later in the month

Gauteng health MEC Bandile Masuku’s first rule: Don’t panic

As Gauteng braces for its Covid-19 peak, the province’s MEC for health, Bandile Masuku, is putting his training to the test as he leads efforts to tackle the impending public health crisis
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday