Sibanye-Stillwater boss ‘traumatised’ by surge in mine deaths

Sibanye-Stillwater CEO Neal Froneman said he was “deeply saddened and traumatised” to have lost so many mineworkers at the mines’ operations.

“In my entire 40-year career in mining, I have never experienced anything like this. I am deeply saddened and traumatised to have lost so many Sibanye-Stillwater family members in this way,” Froneman said during a conference call on Monday afternoon.

The aim of the conference call was to address recent safety incidents and other relevant issues.

The death toll at Sibanye-Stillwater’s operations this year alone stands at more than 20 – close to half of the fatalities in the entire mining industry.

Froneman said, during the five years prior to 2018, operations have delivered industry reading safety rates.


He said 2017 marked an extensive roll-out of a revised safety strategy early in the year and there was a significant improvement in all safety indicators.

According to Froneman, the country’s gold operations experienced no fatalities for four months until early February 2018.

“Whatever we do, it will not bring back those men to their family.”

‘Seismic activity’

Referring to the May 3 incident where seven workers were killed during a seismic event, he said seismic events were common across the gold fields areas.

“Seismic activity is common across the western gold fields and on average, our Kloof and Driefontein mines experience 640 events of between one and two magnitudes a year, and approximately 84 larger-than-two-magnitude events on average a year.”

In a separate incident on June 11, five miners died when they entered a ventilation shaft.

Froneman said photographs revealed that the ventilation shaft had been locked and marked with “no-entry signs” and it was unclear why the miners entered the area.

He said the Department of Minerals and Resources was still investigating the incident.

Sibanye-Stillwater has also appointed an expert in mining safety Cobus de Jager as corporate head of safety.

De Jager boasts more than 40 years of experience in mining safety.

His primary focus will be to fully review the company’s safety management systems and processes.

“We are taking structured and well-defined steps to restore our safety performance,” Froneman said. — News24

Subscribe to the M&G for R2 a month

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

And for this weekend only, you can become a subscriber by paying just R2 a month for your first three months.

Related stories

Xolobeni activist receives death threat

In an environment where activism against mining is becoming increasingly deadly, Nonhle Mbuthuma’s life may be at risk

Department warns mines to comply

Estimates hint that the scaling down of work in response to Covid-19 will result in a sharp drop in production in April and by 4.5% for the year

Miners speak out against Sibanye

Not a year into buying Lonmin, Sibanye is accused of mistreating the mineworkers who were injured eight years ago during the Marikana massacre. But the platinum giant says it is a miscommunication. Athandiwe Saba and Paul Botes visit Marikana to find out the truth

Lest we forget: Marikana’s fallen

We must remember the 44 people killed and 78 injured in main part to prevent such actions being repeated

Silicosis case settlement brings hope

The payouts to affected miners who were part of the class action will provide a modicum of justice
Advertising

Subscribers only

ANC: ‘We’re operating under conditions of anarchy’

In its latest policy documents, the ANC is self-critical and wants ‘consequence management’, yet it’s letting its members off the hook again

Q&A Sessions: ‘I think I was born way before my...

The chief executive of the Estate Agency Affairs Board and the deputy chair of the SABC board, shares her take on retrenchments at the public broadcaster and reveals why she hates horror movies

More top stories

DRC: Tshisekedi and Kabila fall out

The country’s governing coalition is under strain, which could lead to even more acrimony ahead

Editorial: Crocodile tears from the coalface

Pumping limited resources into a project that is predominantly meant to extend dirty coal energy in South Africa is not what local communities and the climate needs.

Klipgat residents left high and dry

Flushing toilets were installed in backyards in the North West, but they can’t be used because the sewage has nowhere to go

Nehawu leaders are ‘betraying us’

The accusation by a branch of the union comes after it withdrew from a parliamentary process
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…