Duduzani Zuma back in court for second time this week

Days after appearing in shackles in the Johannesburg Commercial Crime Court, Duduzani Zuma is expected to appear in a different court on two charges of culpable homicide.

Zuma is expected in the Randburg Magistrate’s Court on Thursday where he is set to answer for the deaths of two people after he crashed his Porsche into a taxi in 2014.

News24 reported earlier this week that Zuma denied any wrongdoing in both the corruption case he appeared in court for on Monday and the culpable homicide case.

In an affidavit prepared for his earlier appearance this week, he said: “I deny that I am guilty of any criminal acts in relation to these averments and I am returning to South Africa fully aware of the fact that I am facing, not only the charges of culpable homicide but potentially other charges some of which may well be serious in nature.”

A “Hands Off Duduzani” protest is expected to take place outside the court on Thursday.


Duduzani was in court on Monday after being charged with corruption, alternatively conspiracy to commit corruption, relating to an alleged R600-million offer made to former deputy finance minister Mcebisi Jonas in 2015 by Ajay Gupta, in Zuma’s presence.

READ MORE: Duduzani Zuma released on bail, case postponed until 2019

R100 000 bail

The State alleged that Gupta offered Jonas the position of finance minister at the family’s Saxonwold compound.

“At this meeting, Mr Ajay Gupta in the presence of [Zuma] offered Mcebisi Jonas the position of finance minister, advising him that the current minister of finance was to be relieved of his position in Cabinet,” a provisional charge sheet, shared with the media, read.

Jonas claimed he refused the offer and left.

The State alleged that Zuma was party to the crime because he was present.

He was released on R100 000 bail and ordered to hand over his passport. If he intends on travelling, he must first seek permission from the investigating officer.

“I have no intention to live a life of a fugitive,” he said in his affidavit. — News24

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Jan Bornman
Jan Bornman
Reporter at New Frame. Interested in migration, refugees and asylum seekers' stories. MA in Migration & Displacement.

Related stories

Former state security minister Bongo back in court

Bongo and his co-accused will appear in the Nelspruit magistrate’s court in Mpumalanga over charges of fraud, corruption and theft

Editorial: Corruption taints us all

The SIU revealed that it is investigating 658 companies that may have profited unfairly from the Covid-19 crisis. Together those companies raked in over R5-billion — money that could have been better spent plugging some of the many leaks that have imperilled South Africa’s democracy.

Bank guarantees foil Denel’s R4.5-bn Egypt contract

Loss of work is the last thing the beleaguered state enterprise needs

Gupta-linked Bobat was hired on merit, Van Rooyen tells Zondo commission

Former finance minister Des van Rooyan said he did not have Mohamed Bobat’s CV when he appointed him as a special adviser

For whom the Bell tolls

The cautionary tale of Bell Pottinger reminds us of the role of journalism in a democracy and why we owe it to ourselves to be more responsible about the media we consume

Anarchy rules at home affairs

It is unwise to entrust our fingerprints, biographical details and legislative authority to a syndicate of delinquent government officials
Advertising

Subscribers only

Toxic power struggle hits public works

With infighting and allegations of corruption and poor planning, the department’s top management looks like a scene from ‘Survivor’

Free State branches gun for Ace

Parts of the provincial ANC will target their former premier, Magashule, and the Free State PEC in a rolling mass action campaign

More top stories

Mboweni plans to freeze public sector wage increases for the...

The mid-term budget policy statement delivered by the finance minister proposes cutting all non-interest spending by R300-billion.

SAA to receive R10.5-billion government bailout after all

Several struggling state-owned entities received extra funds after the medium term budget policy speech

Malawi court judges win global prize

Members of the small African country’s judiciary took a stand for democracy to international approval
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday