Manana removed from gender-based violence panel discussion

The organisers of an event aimed at raising funds to oppose gender-based violence confirmed on Thursday that they had removed former ANC MP Mduduzi Manana as one of their panellists.

One of the organisers of Shevolution, Buhle Tonise, told media that the decision was made on Tuesday evening.

“The reason was based on the outcry and having consulted and gotten advice, yes the idea behind it might be understood, but the manner in which we are trying to implement it is quite too soon. Especially with Mduduzi Manana, because he has recently been convicted,” Tonise said.

This, after a poster advertising the event, hosted by Shevolution Africa, sparked outrage on social media.

The poster, which had the tagline “Legends united against gender-based violence”, carried Manana’s face prominently.

She said the organisers removed “any offender” from the panel.

Three counts of assault

“Instead, we have someone who was with the juvenile correctional services.”

Manana was convicted of three counts of assault with intent to do grievous bodily harm in September 2017.

Video footage emerged of Manana assaulting a woman at Cubana in Fourways, Johannesburg, on August 6, 2017, which went viral on social media and sparked demands for his arrest.

He admitted during court proceedings that he also assaulted two others, saying the women had called him “isitabane”, a term used to derogatively refer to gay people.


The Randburg Magistrate’s Court ordered Manana to pay a R100 000 fine, or face 12 months in jail for the Cubana incident.

He was also ordered to complete 500 hours of community service, complete a rehabilitation programme and pay the victims a total of R26 680.46. — News24

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever. But it comes at a cost. Advertisers are cancelling campaigns, and our live events have come to an abrupt halt. Our income has been slashed.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years. We’ve survived thanks to the support of our readers, we will need you to help us get through this.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Advertising

Schools: Confusion rather than clarity and confidence reign

The way in which Angie Motshekga has handled the reopening of schools has caused many people to lose confidence in her

The backlogs, denials and future of testing Covid-19

The National Health Laboratory Services finally admitted to a bottleneck last week, after denying there were any issues since April. According to the service, the backlog of 80 000 tests started in the first week of May
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday