Police portfolio committee calls for probe into Hawks

The Portfolio Committee on Police has called for an independent investigation into  allegations a senior Hawks member tried to “kill” a case involving claims by former deputy finance minister Mcebisi Jonas that the Gupta family tried to bribe him.

Jonas had delivered several bombshells on Friday as he went through the chronology of events of state capture, as he experienced it, during the judicial commission of inquiry into state capture.

Jonas told the commission that the Hawks tried to “kill” the case, by preparing a statement contradicting his previous media statement that he was offered R600-million if he took the job of finance minister in 2015.

READ MORE: SOEs’ battle with treasury exposed

Jonas said he was contacted by then Hawks head Berning Ntlemeza.

Ntlemeza decided to assign Major General Zinhle Mnonopi — the head of serious corruption investigation — to the state capture case opened by political parties, the DA and COPE.

“Mnonopi said this was a DA matter and that I did not want to help the DA and they want to kill the matter,” Jonas testified.

Jonas said Mnonopi wanted him to sign a prepared false draft statement to say that he was not a witness to corruption, but he was not willing to do so.

In a statement, the chairperson of the police committee Francois Beukman, said it is imperative that members of the Hawks, especially high-ranking members, should act without fear or favour to uphold the law, and that any dereliction of that duty should be properly investigated.

“Whilst the committee acknowledges that the proceedings of the commission are still underway and that testimony will still be subjected to cross-examination and findings of the commission be made, any serious allegations against DPCI (Hawks) members should be urgently investigated by the relevant authorities,” said Beukman.

“The DPCI should lead in the fight against corruption and any allegations that comprise their role should be subject to independent investigation.”

READ MORE: ‘Looting R6bn from state is not enough’ — Ajay Gupta

Beukman called on any individual or organisation that had evidence of wrongful or criminal conduct of members of the DPCI to utilise the constitutional institutions that are there to investigate wrongful conduct.

Meanwhile, the Congress of the People (COPE) has called on Minister of Police Bheki Cele to suspend Mnonopi, following the revelations by Jonas.

In another statement, Hawks boss General Godfrey Lebeya noted with serious concern the allegations made at the commission.

He said the Hawks were closely following the commission.

“We support the work of the commission and will allow the witnesses to complete the testimony without distraction before enlisting their assistance in visiting the matter,” the statement read. — News24

An actual Black Friday deal

Subscribe for R2/mth for the first three months. Cancel anytime.

Subscribers get access to all our best journalism, subscriber-only newsletters, events and a weekly cryptic crossword.

Alex Mitchley
Alex Mitchley
South African Journalist at News24

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Latest stories

The Covid-19 Omicron variant: What is known so far

As scientists scramble to learn more about it, infectious disease expert Professor Salim Abdool Karim says current vaccines are effective against the new variant

Black Friday better than 2020’s but consumer spending remains subdued

The momentous retail spending event, Black Friday, remains relevant in South Africa as total online spend year-on-year increased by 6%

Minister shakes up state housing entities in bid to improve...

Mmamoloko Kubayi-Ngubane appoints new boards because the structures were ‘wracked with infighting, rapid and frequent leadership changes, poor governance, corruption and loss of technical capacity’

High court allows Freedom Under Law to oppose Hlophe’s review...

The court found that the organisation’s past history in ensuring the misconduct inquiry against the Western Cape judge president was reopened refuted, rather than supported, Hlophe’s objections
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×