Get more Mail & Guardian
Subscribe or Login

Those responsible for VBS municipal losses must be held accountable — Mkhize

Much of the money lost by municipalities to the VBS Mutual Bank scandal was intended for service delivery, minister of cooperative governance and traditional affairs Zweli Mkhize told Parliament on Wednesday — vowing that the public servants responsible would face the consequences of their actions.

During a question and answer plenary on Wednesday afternoon, Mkhize told MPs that the his department was in regular contact with the South African Reserve Bank (SARB) over the bank’s curatorship.

The curatorship process was announced by the SARB in March, after a report in the City Press that the mutual bank was facing a liquidity crisis. This followed treasury instructing municipalities to stop investing with the bank.

A number of councils withdrew more than R1-billion from the bank after treasury gave the order early last year. The curatorship has left the management of VBS Mutual Bank in the care of auditing firm SizweNtsabulaGobodo.

Mkhize told the National Assembly that his department would not allow the losses of council’s funds to hamper service delivery for the residents of affected municipalities.

“It is important to say that we have sought answers from some municipalities on why they acted in the way they did and, frankly, many of their answers are not satisfactory.

“Some said they were legally advised that their actions were above board,” said Mkhize.

Responding to a question from Democratic Alliance MP Kevin Mileham, Mkhize said government would not be hasty in subjecting municipal officials to a witch hunt before investigations were concluded, or without evidence.

“We need to ensure that this is addressed without trying to remove representatives before having a solid case against them.

“As it is now, many of the people that were involved in the VBS debacle are no longer serving. We encourage the investigations to continue,” Mkhize said.

Mkhize said while the wheels of justice were grinding slowly, he was confident that those who put public finances at risk would face the consequences.

“Anyone responsible for the VBS debacle will be charged and held accountable. SARB asked us to wait for their processes to continue, as that is how they will ascertain who is supposed to be charged. But I am confident that no one can escape and no one will escape,” he said.

Municipalities were working to minimise the impact of the missing money, he added.

“Large sums of the money that found its way into the VBS accounts was intended for service delivery [sic].

“We have asked the affected municipalities re-adjust their budgets to account for this and engage the communities to explain to them what has happened and how it will be addressed,” Mkhize said. — Fin24

Subscribe for R500/year

Thanks for enjoying the Mail & Guardian, we’re proud of our 36 year history, throughout which we have delivered to readers the most important, unbiased stories in South Africa. Good journalism costs, though, and right from our very first edition we’ve relied on reader subscriptions to protect our independence.

Digital subscribers get access to all of our award-winning journalism, including premium features, as well as exclusive events, newsletters, webinars and the cryptic crossword. Click here to find out how to join them and get a 57% discount in your first year.

Khulekani Magubane
Khulekani Magubane

Khulekani Magubane is a senior financial reporter for Fin24. 

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

If you’re reading this, you clearly have great taste

If you haven’t already, you can subscribe to the Mail & Guardian for less than the cost of a cup of coffee a week, and get more great reads.

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Subscribers only

Fears of violence persist a year after the murder of...

The court battle to stop coal mining in rural KwaZulu-Natal has heightened the sense of danger among environmental activists

Data shows EFF has lower negative sentiment online among voters...

The EFF has a stronger online presence than the ANC and Democratic Alliance

More top stories

Eastern Cape premier Mabuyane lives large amid province’s poverty

Oscar Mabuyane and MEC Babalo Madikizela allegedly used a portion of state funds for struggle icon Winnie Madikizela-Mandela’s commemoration for their own benefit

Constitutional court confirms warrantless searches in cordoned off areas unconstitutional

The law was challenged in response to raids in inner Johannesburg seemingly targeting illegal immigrants and the highest court has pronounced itself 10 days before an election in which then mayor Herman Mashaba has campaigned on an anti-foreigner ticket

A blunt Mantashe makes no promises during election campaigning

ANC chairperson Gwede Mantashe told people in Daveyton to stop expecting handouts from the government

Mbeki: Social compact the answer to promises made in ANC...

Former president Thabo Mbeki urged business and government and society to work together to tackle issues such as poverty, unemployment and poor services and infrastructure
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×