Bain head honcho mired in state capture allegations won’t be stepping down

Beleaguered consultancy Bain & Company on Monday morning issued a clarification that managing partner Vittorio Massone was not stepping down as previously communicated, but rather merely taking time to focus on cooperating with the Sars commission of inquiry. 

“He remains a partner at Bain & Company and is focusing his time on cooperating with the Commission … It has been known to our clients for some time that Mr Massone would rotate out of his current role in December to take on another senior role within the firm,” a statement issued on Monday said.

“This rotation typically occurs each 5-7 years and Mr Massone has already completed almost nine years in his current role.”

The statement also also clarified that the company’s view that its work for Sars “falling short” referred to it not yielding positive results for the tax collector.

Sunday’s announcement followed revelations by the Mail & Guardian on Friday that SAA attempted on two occasions to award the company a flawed R139-million contract to develop an optimal organisational design.

The manner in which Bain evidently campaigned for the tender is eerily similar to it’s dealings with the South African Revenue Service that came under the spotlight at the Nugent Commission last week.

Massone’s testimony revealed that he had met Tom Moyane months before he was appointed Sars commissioner. Additionally, pro-bono work from the consultancy led to it eventually being paid more than R200-million to restructure the revenue service.

As reported in the M&G, one of the concerns raised by SAA’s bid adjudication committee in rejecting the first attempt to award Bain with a contract was that it had already been doing pro-bono work in SAA chief executive Vuyani Jarana’s office. Unbeknown to the committee, Jarana had met Massone and discussed the airline months before the former took up his position.

Tiaan Moolman, who is described as a long serving member, will be appointed to run South African operations in the interim.

Bain has announced that it will also be paying back all of the money it was paid by Sars.

“Bain & Company’s global Board today approved to set aside all of the R164-million of fees plus VAT and interest, from our work with SARS,” the consultancy said in its statement on Sunday. 

“This money will be used either as prescribed by the Nugent Commission of Inquiry or — in the absence of such prescription — for the benefit of South Africa. In the latter instance, we will seek guidance from business, government and civil society leaders on how these funds can best be used.”

The consultancy has also established an “oversight committee” headed by a former alumnus.

Bain follows in the footsteps of disgraced auditors KPMG who have also been implicated in state capture, allegedly siphoning hundreds of millions of rands from the state for questionable services. The auditing firm is also desperately trying to salvage its local and international reputation through a series of exercises.

READ MORE: Bain & Co. ‘used’ for ulterior motives, Nugent commission hears

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever. But it comes at a cost. Advertisers are cancelling campaigns, and our live events have come to an abrupt halt. Our income has been slashed.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years. We’ve survived thanks to the support of our readers, we will need you to help us get through this.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Luke Feltham
Luke Feltham

Luke Feltham runs the Mail & Guardian's sports desk. He was previously the online day editor.

Sabelo Skiti

Sabelo Skiti is an investigative journalist.

Advertisting

Stella set to retain her perks

Communication minister will keep Cabinet perks during her two months of special leave

Not a sweet deal, Mister

Mister Sweet workers say they will not risk their health, and the lives of others, to continue producing and packaging confectionaries

Covid-19 grounds Nigeria’s medical tourists

The country’s elites, including the president, travelled abroad for treatment but now they must use the country’s neglected health system

Nehawu launches urgent court bid over protective gear for health...

The health workers’ union says the government has rebuffed its attempts to meet about mitigating risks to workers

Press Releases

Rahima Moosa Hospital nursing college introduces no-touch facial recognition access system

The new system allows the hospital to enrol people’s faces immediately, using artificial intelligence, and integrates easily with existing access control infrastructure, including card readers and biometrics

Everyone’s talking about it. Even Kentucky

Earlier this year South African fried chicken fast-food chain, Chicken Licken®, launched a campaign for their wallet-friendly EasyBucks® meals, based on the idea of ‘Everyone’s talking about it.’

New energy mix on the cards

REI4P already has and will continue to yield thousands of employment opportunities

The online value of executive education in a Covid-19 world

Executive education courses further develop the skills of leaders in the workplace

Sisa Ntshona urges everyone to stay home, and consider travelling later

Sisa Ntshona has urged everyone to limit their movements in line with government’s request

SAB Zenzele’s special AGM postponed until further notice

An arrangement has been announced for shareholders and retailers to receive a 77.5% cash payout

20th Edition of the National Teaching Awards

Teachers are seldom recognised but they are indispensable to the country's education system

Awards affirm the vital work that teachers do

Government is committed to empowering South Africa’s teachers with skills, knowledge and techniques for a changing world