Get more Mail & Guardian
Subscribe or Login

Deputy mayor’s kin on murder rap

The nephew and the son of an ANC deputy mayor are among the six men who appeared in court this week for the murder of anti-corruption campaigner and former ANC Pietermaritzburg councillor Musawenkosi “Maqatha” Mchunu earlier this year.

Gift Zungu is the son of Umgungundlovu district municipality deputy mayor Thandiwe “Fucwana” Zungu. He and his cousin Nkosinathi Gambu were arrested with four other men at the weekend for the murder.

Gambu is also a councillor in the ANC Msunduzi municipality (Pietermaritzburg). The other four — Skhanyiso Zimu, Sifiso Mbhele, Mlungisi Zumu and Ayanda Ngubane — are members of the ANC’s Ward 10 committee.

Automatic weapons, allegedly unlicensed, were seized from Gambu’s bodyguards. The men have been remanded in custody until September 20.

Deputy mayor Zungu was a member of the ANC’s conflict-ridden Moses Mabhida regional executive committee, which was replaced by a regional task team, itself disbanded over its failure to hold a regional conference last month.

READ MORE: ANC’s Moses Mabhida regional conference postponed indefinitely

She also served on the working committee of the Moses Mabhida region, one of the worst hit by the wave of political killings of ANC councillors or candidates that began before the 2016 local government elections.

Mchunu was gunned down at KwaPata in May. ANC activists, councillors and officials have been murdered in Mkhambathini, Richmond, Pietermaritzburg and Mooi River, all of which fall in the Moses Mabhida region.

The arrest of the group casts into stark relief the intensity of the political conflict in the region and the province in the run-up to the governing party’s national conference at Nasrec in December and in its aftermath.

Zungu’s regional leadership backed the unsuccessful presidential bid of Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma and the “status quo” slate at the KwaZulu-Natal ANC provincial conference, which lost.

The arrests also place fresh strain on the fragile unity in the ANC in the province, which saw a leadership drawn from the Dlamini-Zuma faction and supporters of President Cyril Ramaphosa’s campaign elected in July.

The tensions, which began before the 2015 provincial conference — declared unlawful by the high court in Pietermaritzburg — had escalated, with the surge in political murders sparking the appointment of the Moerane commission by Premier Willies Mchunu.

The tensions have also paralysed the Msunduzi council, with recent council meetings failing to raise a quorum because of members of the Dlamini-Zuma supporting faction refusing to attend.

Mchunu, who had served as councillor for Ward 10 until 2011, was at the time of his death employed as the public participation officer in the office of Msunduzi speaker Jabu Ngubo.

He had been at the forefront of community protests over alleged corruption in Msunduzi and had led several marches to the ANC regional offices and the Pietermaritzburg City Hall. He was also part of the group of Ramaphosa-supporting branches who had lodged complaints about the alleged bias of the Moses Mabhida regional task team and which had met with the ANC’s national dispute resolution committee, headed by deputy secretary general Jessie Duarte.

About a month before his death, Mchunu was involved in a series of protests about alleged corruption involving council housing in Ward 10. At one of them, a scuffle broke out between residents and Gambu’s bodyguards.

“In the process, one person was shot in the leg,” said an ANC member from the ward, who has asked to remain anonymous.

“Maqatha took that person to Edendale Hospital where they treated him,” he said. “The tensions were heavy in the ward. This here [the arrests of the six men] is a big breakthrough. Comrades are being murdered all over this region, here, Richmond, Mkhambathini, and nobody has been arrested. Maybe now we will get answers.”

During the court appearance by the six, hundreds of ANC members protested outside the Pietermaritzburg magistrate’s court building, while others packed the courtroom, which was heavily secured by the police.

READ MORE: Moses Mabhida misses deadline

ANC KwaZulu-Natal spokesperson Gugu Simelane-Zulu said the party was shocked by the arrests and called on all ANC members to co-operate with the law enforcement agencies investigating Mchunu’s and other killings. She said although the accused were presumed innocent, the ANC believed the allegations were “extremely serious”.

“We are hopeful that the justice system will do its work independently and with speed. Finalising this matter quickly will allow the ANC to start its internal disciplinary process in order to send a strong message, where it’s necessary,” she said.

Subscribe to the M&G

Thanks for enjoying the Mail & Guardian, we’re proud of our 36 year history, throughout which we have delivered to readers the most important, unbiased stories in South Africa. Good journalism costs, though, and right from our very first edition we’ve relied on reader subscriptions to protect our independence.

Digital subscribers get access to all of our award-winning journalism, including premium features, as well as exclusive events, newsletters, webinars and the cryptic crossword. Click here to find out how to join them.

Paddy Harper
Paddy Harper
Storyteller.

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

If you’re reading this, you clearly have great taste

If you haven’t already, you can subscribe to the Mail & Guardian for less than the cost of a cup of coffee a week, and get more great reads.

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Subscribers only

R270m ‘housing heist’ bid deprives people of decent homes

After alleged attempts to loot Eastern Cape housing funds, 39 200 people in the province will continue to live in atrocious conditions

Cabinet reshuffle not on cards yet

There are calls for the president to act against ministers said to be responsible for the state’s slow response to the unrest, but his hands are tied

More top stories

R270m ‘housing heist’ bid deprives people of decent homes

After alleged attempts to loot Eastern Cape housing funds, 39 200 people in the province will continue to live in atrocious conditions

Stolen ammo poses security threat amid failure to protect high-risk...

A Durban depot container with 1.5-million rounds of ammunition may have been targeted, as others in the vicinity were left untouched, say security sources

Sierra Leoneans want a share of mining profits, or they...

The arrival of a Chinese gold mining company in Kono, a diamond-rich district in the east of Sierra Leone, had a devastating impact on the local community, cutting its water supply and threatening farmers’ livelihoods – and their attempts to seek justice have been frustrated at every turn

IEC to ask the courts to postpone local elections

The chairperson of the Electoral Commission of South Africa said the Moseneke inquiry found that the elections would not be free and fair if held in October
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×