Zimbabwe scrambles to contain cholera outbreak as death toll rises

The death toll in Zimbabwe’s current cholera outbreak has risen to 28 people with government banning public gatherings in the capital of Harare as a precautionary measure.

The ban was announced last week just as the main opposition, Movement for Democratic Change (MDC), was getting ready for the party’s 19th anniversary celebrations where leader Nelson Chamisa was going to be inaugurated as the “people’s president”.

READ MORE: Zimbabwe on tenterhooks as opposition Chamisa prepares ‘inauguration’

Chamisa narrowly lost to President Emmerson Mnangagwa in the country’s first election since the ousting of long-time ruler Robert Mugabe last year.

The MDC claimed that the results of the July 30 elections were rigged but its legal bid to have the result overturned due to alleged electoral fraud and irregularities was rejected by the Constitutional Court.

Party spokesperson Jacob Mafume said in a statement that the party was forced to call off its rally, planned for Saturday, but that government was using the outbreak as an excuse to derail MDC’s plans.


“It is clear that the government is abusing the cholera epidemic for political purposes and puts into serious doubt that the ban of our commemoration event was out of genuine concern.”

READ MORE: Zimbabwe’s opposition copies the Kenyan playbook

The outbreak was first detected earlier this month in Glen View township outside of Harare and now the capital has been inundated by the outbreak, with more than 3 000 cases reported and government declaring a state of emergency.

Health Minister Obadiah Moyo told state-owned Sunday Mail that many cases of illnesses were found to be drug-resistant meaning that new antibiotics had to be approved to tackle the outbreak.

“Although I cannot say we have contained the disease as yet, we are moving swiftly in all provinces of the country,” Moyo said.

Cholera is an infection caused by the Vibrio cholerae bacterium and is spread when contaminated water or food is consumed. When the disease is drug resistant, this means that the bacteria is not controlled or killed by antibiotics that are generally used to treat it.

Moyo also said government is working on removing accumulated trash in the capital, repairing sewer pipes and stopping street vendors from selling food in efforts to contain the disease.

Finance Minister Mthuli Ncube has posted an appeal on Twitter for people to contribute to the government’s “emergency crowdfund” as a means “to further efforts to fight cholera to date.”

This appeal was met with backlash on social media with Zimbabweans criticising the state for misusing public funds and now not being able to respond to the outbreak.

The World Health Organisation (WHO) announced last week that it would expand its operations in the country in order to scale up its response to the outbreak.

The organisation says it will provide cholera treatment centres with kits consisting of a oral rehydration solution, intravenous fluids and antibiotics.

Zimbabwe experienced the largest cholera epidemic between August 2008 and June 2009 which claimed more than 4 000 lives. This outbreak started in the Mashonaland East province and spread throughout the country until all 10 provinces had reported cases.  

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Related stories

Advertising

Subscribers only

Q&A Sessions: Marcia Mayaba —Driven to open doors for women

Marcia Mayaba has been in the motor industry for 24 years, donning hats that include receptionist, driver, fuel attendant, dealer principal and now chief...

The war on women in video game culture

Women and girls make up almost half of the gaming community but are hardly represented and face abuse in the industry

More top stories

In emotive missive, Zuma says he will not provide answering...

Former president Jacob Zuma on Wednesday submitted a 21-page letter to Chief Justice Mogoeng Mogoeng out of “respect”, to let the head of the...

Gordhan writes to JSC to clarify ‘incidental’ mention of Pillay...

Public enterprises minister denies that he tried to influence the appointment of a judge and friend to the SCA in 2016

The battle for 2050 energy dominance: Nuclear industry makes its...

Nuclear sector says it should be poised to take up more than 50% of the 24GW left vacant by coal

#SayHerName: The faces of South Africa’s femicide epidemic

This is an ode to the women whose names made it into news outlets from 2018 to 2020. It’s also a tribute to the faceless, nameless women whose stories remain untold.
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…