Bain back in hot seat as SARS inquiry resumes

Management consulting firm Bain & Company will be back in the hot seat as the Nugent Commission of Inquiry resumes in Pretoria on Tuesday.

The company which helped design the South African Revenue Service’s controversial operating model which has been blamed for crippling the organisation has admitted that its work may have been used to “further a political or personal agenda”.

The operating structure which is at the centre of the inquiry probing tax and governance issues at SARS was ordered by suspended tax chief Tom Moyane.

The restructure which was implemented in 2014 led to the shutting of key tax units and resulted in a dip in revenue collection.

Bain Managing Partner Vittorio Massone will be the first to give evidence, following his startling revelation last month that Moyane had sought information on SARS prior to his appointment to the position of commissioner in 2013.


In his early testimony, Massone told the inquiry that there was not reason given by Moyane for the restructure, and blamed its failure on implementation by SARS. He also refused that the company was to blame for the damage caused by the overhaul.

Under fire from being seen as having a hand in the collapse of one of the country’s key institution, Bain early this month announced they will return the R164m they received from SARS in service fees.

But the company said it was “deeply sorry” for how its work turned out, adding: “We wish we had known then what we do now” – after initially refusing to apologise.

Solly Tshitangano, the director of compliance and monitoring at the National Treasury will also return to the give evidence.

Tshitangano’s previously detailed how the Bain contract had raised a number of red flags, including irregular tender process.

A number of SARS officials are also due to give evidence over the next three days, including Yousuf Denath, senior manager in the fraud investigations unit, Luther Lebelo, who heads employment relations and former criminal investigator Ronel van Wyk.

Van Wyk, an experienced investigator, resigned from SARS in November 2017.

The inquiry will proceed until Friday. — Fin 24

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Related stories

Advertising

Subscribers only

How smuggled gold destined for Dubai or Singapore has links...

Three Malagasy citizens were apprehended at OR Tambo International airport, but now the trail is found to connect to France and Mali

How lottery execs received dubious payments through a private company

The National Lottery Commission is being investigated by the SIU for alleged corruption and maladministration, including suspicious payments made to senior NLC employees between 2016 and 2017

More top stories

R2.3bn VBS trial expected to only begin in 2022

The state is expected to request a 16 week-long trial, as delays stymie progress in the saga.

Spy boss tells how agency was used to detain Zuma’s...

Day two of State Security Agency testimony at the Zondo commission birthed more revelations that point to the former head of state and agents breaking the law

Covax will take excess doses of Covid vaccines off the...

The global initiative plans to deliver two billion doses of Covid-19 vaccines to developing nations

Eastern Cape citizens don’t have to visit the labour department...

This measure, aimed at slowing the spread of Covid-19, may shortly be introduced in other regions.
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…