Get more Mail & Guardian
Subscribe or Login

Eskom reports alarm Cosatu

Labour federation Cosatu says it will demand answers from President Cyril Ramaphosa’s administration on alleged plans to privatise Eskom despite assurances that the power utility would remain state-owned.

The federation held a special central executive committee meeting in Johannesburg this week at which it resolved to oppose any attempts to privatise state-owned entities (SOEs), because it believed this would lead to more job losses and the casualisation of workers.

“It will also adversely affect the state’s capacity to: provide basic services to the poor; provide for infrastructural development; intervene to restructure the economy to ensure growth and employment creation; and play a developmental role in general,” Cosatu said in a statement.

Last week, the Sunday Independent reported that Eskom’s executives were mulling over their options to save the SOE, because the power utility’s debt is now more than R300-billion. Eskom confirmed that privatisation was one of the options being discussed as well as “unbundling” the utility into separate divisions, each responsible for generating income. It said any plans would be discussed with the unions.

Speaking to the Mail & Guardian on Wednesday, Cosatu general secretary Bheki Ntshalintshali said the federation would not be open to any solution involving privatisation.

He said at a meeting with Energy Minister Jeff Radebe and Public Enterprises Minister Pravin Gordhan that the idea of unbundling Eskom into three divisions had been discussed. “But when we asked the question about privatisation they said there was no issue.”

He said Cosatu would “go to government and say ‘Here are the rumours, tell us what we need to know. And you can’t keep secrets — has the board decided on those issues?’ If it is to be confirmed, we will resist it very clearly.”

The ANC has hinted at inviting private investment to save SOEs, but not going the extent of privatisation. At the Cape Town Press Club in July, ANC treasurer general Paul Mashatile suggested that privatisation would only be considered if an SOE was beyond being saved.

Deputy Finance Minister Mondli Gungubele told the M&G in August that the government had agreed to sell the assets of some SOEs and, with others, allow private equity to boost revenues and service debt.

“We have steered away from privatisation. Equity investment will be minority stakes rather than complete outsourcing, except when a particular government agency has no chance of being revived,” Mashatile said.

“Even at [the ANC] lekgotla, the president [Ramaphosa] was very clear that we are open now to private equity partners if it can improve [the financial situation in SOEs],” Gungubele said.

“I am asking one question: If an asset is a burden to the state, it adds no value. Why do you torture the state with the keeping of that asset because the translation is that the burden of the cost of that asset translates [into] the inability of the state to provide services to the poor?” he said.

But Ntshalintshali said ANC policies clearly favoured public ownership. He believed the Eskom board, which has a strained relationship with Cosatu, was to blame for showing no real commitment to saving jobs.

“The board is doing something that is not part of a clear mandate that they have … Some of the people have no respect for job creation. They’re just looking at turning the organisation around to make money irrespective of the damage.” — Additional reporting by Matuma Letsoalo

Subscribe to the M&G

Thanks for enjoying the Mail & Guardian, we’re proud of our 36 year history, throughout which we have delivered to readers the most important, unbiased stories in South Africa. Good journalism costs, though, and right from our very first edition we’ve relied on reader subscriptions to protect our independence.

Digital subscribers get access to all of our award-winning journalism, including premium features, as well as exclusive events, newsletters, webinars and the cryptic crossword. Click here to find out how to join them.

Dineo Bendile
Dineo Bendile works from Johannesburg. Political reporter. BLACK. Dineo Bendile has over 2712 followers on Twitter.

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

If you’re reading this, you clearly have great taste

If you haven’t already, you can subscribe to the Mail & Guardian for less than the cost of a cup of coffee a week, and get more great reads.

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Subscribers only

Mbeki tells ANC that land without compensation goes against the...

‘This would be a very serious disincentive to investment,’ says Thabo Mbeki in a document arguing that the ANC should not proceed with the Constitutional amendment of section 25

Micro-hydropower lights up an Eastern Cape village

There is hidden potential for small hydropower plants in South Africa

More top stories

Abattoir compliance for game meat will kill Eastern Cape industry,...

Last month, the department of agriculture issued a notice saying that the slaughter and dressing of game meat at any place other than an abattoir was prohibited, and that those not complying could be fined or imprisoned

Gauteng health system is heading for catastrophe

While officials remain entangled in bureaucratic knots, clinicians warn that the continued closure of the Charlotte Maxeke Johannesburg Academic Hospital risks a ‘humanitarian disaster’

Entrepreneurship will save South Africa’s youth

Complaining about ‘reverse racism’ and BEE serves no one. South Africa’s white youth should focus on entrepreneurship instead

Union calls on government to nationalise ‘profit-driven’ Clover

The dairy’s Lichtenburg factory, which is being closed due to service delivery issues, employs about 380 permanent and 40 temporary workers
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×