Unions warn SABC: You retrench, we shut you down

Unions are threatening to strike until the SABC addresses their concerns, including doing away with retrenchments.

The Communications Workers Union (CWU) said on Sunday it will “shut down the corporation”.

CWU secretary general Aubrey Tshabalala said during a recent picket at the SABC headquarters in Auckland Park, Johannesburg, that the broadcaster was given until Friday to respond to grievances the unions have handed over to SABC management, but they had received no response.

“I have checked my emails, and there has been no revert… we will now receive a mandate from the workers on what should happen next”, Tshabalala said.

“A total shutdown is on the cards, however the continuation of a broader consultation is unfolding. We want to involve society at large since this is a matter of public interest,” Tshabalala added.


SABC spokesperson Neo Momodu said on Sunday night that the broadcaster “takes the demands by the unions seriously” and it will respond to them as soon as the consultation processes with the stakeholders are concluded.

“Some demands require intense consultations with key stakeholders, which are still underway”.

He said that once consultations have been concluded, a clear process will then be mapped out with regards to a plan of action.

READ MORE: SABC’s crisis plan fails to impress MPs

Almost a thousand permanent staffers stand to lose their jobs if the retrenchments go ahead, with over 1 200 freelancers also expected to be laid off.

The public broadcaster has already warned that it would not be able to pay salaries by March next year if it does not retrench staff.

READ MORE: We need R3bn to avoid collapse, SABC tells Scopa

Unions demand a new funding model for the broadcaster.

Salaries at the SABC amount to almost 50% of its total revenue, leaving less money for operational costs.

It has previously said that in order for it to be financially viable once more, it needed to decrease its salary payments, and engage in what it has termed “much needed restructuring”. — News24

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Pelane Phakgadi
Pelane Phakgadi
Mid-Senior Reporter at NEWS24

Related stories

Advertising

Subscribers only

Matrics fail at critical subjects

The basic education minister talks of quality passes achieved by the class of 2020, but a closer look at the results tells a different story

Step-aside guidelines are not about Ace, says Mathews Phosa

The guidelines must be ‘timeless, uniting and not capable of being abused,’ says ANC veteran

More top stories

Sisulu dissolves housing agency board, again

The HDA is once again under administration, and its acting chief executive gets to stay on

Pangolins pushed to the brink of extinction

The trafficking of scales is no longer a ‘niche’ criminal activity, but a serious and organised crime that threatens to make all eight species extinct within 20 years

Durban residents want answers after refinery emission

People living near the refinery were subjected to two hours of dirty smoke from the refinery, the South Durban Environmental Alliance said on Saturday.

Parents ‘key to best grade 12 results’

For the past four years, the matric results in Tshwane South has been the leading district in Gauteng. The formula to success has been involving the parents
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…