Dlamini, Malema ban media from covering their events

Minister of Women in the Presidency Bathabile Dlamini has allegedly barred eNCA from entering a hall where she is launching the 16 Days of Activism Campaign in Mthonjaneni, northern KwaZulu-Natal on Sunday.

The broadcaster reported that Dlamini’s communications team said she had instructed them that she would only speak to the SABC “because they know the parameters”.

“The minister arrived on Sunday afternoon and instructed our team not to take any footage of her, saying she was offended that our camera person was pointing a camera at her,” eNCA reported.

eNCA has expressed its “deep concern” at being barred from an event of “national importance by a government minister”.

Reporter Thuba Vilane and camera operator Bongumusa Mkhize were filming Dlamini’s arrival at the event in KwaMagwaza, Melmoth when the incident occurred.


Dlamini approached their team and said she was offended that she was filmed.

“Thereafter her chief of staff Palesa Mphamo made it expressly clear eNCA should not enter the hall where the event was being held,” eNCA said.

“We reserve the right to ask questions of any publicly appointed representative, indeed we see it as our duty to do so. As a member of the media it is our constitutional right to operate freely and without harassment. To be gagged in this way is of great concern, particularly as we head towards an election year,” eNCA said in a statement.

The news channel said it would engage with Dlamini’s department as well as government’s mouthpiece Government Communication and Information System (GCIS) “to get answers and assurance that this will not be allowed to happen again”.

Dlamini’s spokesperson Mandla Tshabalala was not immediately available for comment as his phone rang unanswered.

He did not reply to a WhatsApp text message either.

EDITORIAL: Malema plays a dangerous game

Meanwhile, Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) leader Julius Malema on Sunday also banned the Sunday Times and its reporters from covering his events, saying he did not need them. 

“I don’t need [you] and [I’m] not scared of you and your racist owners. I respectfully and peacefully ask that you stop sending any of your journalists to interview me or to cover any of my events,” Malema tweeted.

He was responding to the paper’s editorial, titled: ‘We must find the courage to stand up to the racist bully Julius Malema‘.

The South African National Editors’ Forum (Sanef) on Saturday vowed to take steps following attacks on journalists by Malema and other party members.

READ MORE: Malema hits out at journalists

Sanef said it had agreed to urgently seek a meeting with the leadership of the EFF.

This came after Malema’s comments outside the venue of the state capture commission of inquiry in Parktown, Johannesburg, earlier this week, where he identified specific journalists who he accused of protecting Public Enterprises Minister Pravin Gordhan.

Gordhan was testifying about his knowledge of state capture, at the commission.

Malema accused the media of ignoring allegations made by the EFF that Gordhan’s daughter, Anisha Gordhan, was in business with the state.

Sanef said a series of steps will be “urgently undertaken to stop unacceptable, inflammatory remarks by Malema and other EFF leaders”. — News24

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Related stories

Advertising

Subscribers only

Mahikeng compounds its mess

The ailing town that wasted R2-billion appoints a municipal manager rated ‘basic’, the lowest level

No mercy for teachers who are found guilty of misconduct

New regulations give direction on what sanctions should be imposed on disgraceful teachers, including lifetime bans for serious offences

More top stories

Resuscitate the public broadcaster

The SABC is simply too important to South Africa’s democracy for it to be gutted: we cannot allow it to die

Climate change threatens survival of endemic species the most

If Earth warms by 3°C, a third of species living on land and about half of endemic marine species will become extinct

Anger as Ace alters step-aside rules

Outraged provincial secretaries called for a meeting with Luthuli House after the ANC secretary general broadened the NEC’s step-aside resolution

Food delivery drivers seek better employee rights

A group of South African Uber drivers plan to go to court to seek employee rights including compensation for overtime and holiday pay, hoping for a similar victory to that of British drivers in March
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…