Moyane in court in bid to have dismissal overturned

Fired South African Revenue Service (Sars) boss Tom Moyane returns to court on Tuesday in his latest legal battle to get his job back.

His urgent application, to be heard in the Pretoria high court in Pretoria, will see him argue that his dismissal by President Cyril Ramaphosa, which was based on the recommendations of the interim report of Nugent Commission of Inquiry, was unfair and unconstitutional.

“The recommendations are irrational and invalid for the primary reason that the issue of the individual employment contract of the applicant does fall within the ambit of the subject matter envisaged in the terms of reference,” he said.

Last month Moyane failed in his Constitutional Court bid to have the country’s highest court hear the matter after he had sought direct access.

READ MORE: Moyane to fight on, despite ConCourt dismissal

In the application, Moyane lists President Cyril Ramaphosa, Public Enterprises Minister Pravin Gordhan and Judge Robert Nugent, the head of the Sars inquiry as some of the eight respondents.

Nugent is opposing the application.

Moyane also wants to find out if the Sars commission, which heard evidence from past and present employees, exceeded its authority in recommending that he be fired.

Moyane was appointed by former president Jacob Zuma as head of the revenue service in September 2014 on a five-year contract. Since his suspension by Ramaphosa in March, the former commissioner of correctional services has waged a relentless fight to have the legal processes against him halted, including a disciplinary hearing which is headed by Advocate Azhar Bham.

The disciplinary process is currently on hold, but his unhappiness over the process forms part of his submission. He has argued that the two inquiries expose him to “double jeopardy” and that there is “undeniable overlap between the issues intended to be covered by the two commissions.”

The hearing is set down for two days. — Fin24

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever. But it comes at a cost. Advertisers are cancelling campaigns, and our live events have come to an abrupt halt. Our income has been slashed.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years. We’ve survived thanks to the support of our readers, we will need you to help us get through this.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Advertisting

Nehawu launches urgent court bid over protective gear for health...

The health workers’ union says the government has rebuffed its attempts to meet about mitigating risks to workers

Stay at home, Cyril said. But what about the homeless?

In Tshwane, forcing homeless people off the street resulted in chaos and the abuse of a vulnerable population. In Durban, a smooth, well-planned operation fared far better

Press Releases

New energy mix on the cards

REI4P already has and will continue to yield thousands of employment opportunities

The online value of executive education in a Covid-19 world

Executive education courses further develop the skills of leaders in the workplace

Sisa Ntshona urges everyone to stay home, and consider travelling later

Sisa Ntshona has urged everyone to limit their movements in line with government’s request

SAB Zenzele’s special AGM postponed until further notice

An arrangement has been announced for shareholders and retailers to receive a 77.5% cash payout

20th Edition of the National Teaching Awards

Teachers are seldom recognised but they are indispensable to the country's education system

Awards affirm the vital work that teachers do

Government is committed to empowering South Africa’s teachers with skills, knowledge and techniques for a changing world

SAB Zenzele special AGM rescheduled to March 25 2020

New voting arrangements are being made to safeguard the health of shareholders