Court dismisses Moyane’s bid to overturn his dismissal

The Pretoria high court has dismissed axed South African Revenue Service (Sars) commissioner Tom Moyane’s bid to have his dismissal overturned.

The application was dismissed with costs.

In handing down judgment, Judge Hans Fabricius said the matter was not urgent. He also dismissed Moyane’s bid to block the Nugent Commission’s final report.

“(Moyane) has no legal interest in the contents of the report,” he said.

Moyane had mounted a legal battle challenging the powers of the Nugent commission of inquiry which was tasked with investigating administrative governance at Sars.

The commission’s interim report recommended that President Cyril Ramaphosa sack Moyane. Ramaphosa later acted on this recommendation and fired Moyane in November.

The commission’s final report is expected on Friday.

READ MORE: Ramaphosa grants Sars inquiry two-week extension for final report

Moyane had also approached the court to interdict Ramaphosa from advertising and filling his post, which has since been occupied by Mark Kingon in an acting capacity.

Moyane had been on suspension since March after Ramaphosa said he had lost confidence in Moyane’s ability to lead Sars.

Last week, Moyane argued that if Ramphosa’s conduct in dismissing him went unchallenged, it would cause harm to his livelihood, dignity and reputation; including his prospects of future employment, among other personal injuries.

Moyane also wanted the court to grant a personal cost order against Ramaphosa.

The Nugent interim report stated that Moyane’s replacement was not a panacea, but only the first necessary measure without which there was no possibility of rectifying the damage that had been done to Sars.

Moyane still faces a disciplinary hearing which was launched after his suspension. The process has also been challenged in court, as Moyane objected to being subjected to the parallel processes of the Nugent inquiry and the disciplinary hearing.

The disciplinary hearing is currently on hold. — Fin24

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever. But it comes at a cost. Advertisers are cancelling campaigns, and our live events have come to an abrupt halt. Our income has been slashed.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years. We’ve survived thanks to the support of our readers, we will need you to help us get through this.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Advertisting

Nehawu launches urgent court bid over protective gear for health...

The health workers’ union says the government has rebuffed its attempts to meet about mitigating risks to workers

Stay at home, Cyril said. But what about the homeless?

In Tshwane, forcing homeless people off the street resulted in chaos and the abuse of a vulnerable population. In Durban, a smooth, well-planned operation fared far better

Press Releases

New energy mix on the cards

REI4P already has and will continue to yield thousands of employment opportunities

The online value of executive education in a Covid-19 world

Executive education courses further develop the skills of leaders in the workplace

Sisa Ntshona urges everyone to stay home, and consider travelling later

Sisa Ntshona has urged everyone to limit their movements in line with government’s request

SAB Zenzele’s special AGM postponed until further notice

An arrangement has been announced for shareholders and retailers to receive a 77.5% cash payout

20th Edition of the National Teaching Awards

Teachers are seldom recognised but they are indispensable to the country's education system

Awards affirm the vital work that teachers do

Government is committed to empowering South Africa’s teachers with skills, knowledge and techniques for a changing world

SAB Zenzele special AGM rescheduled to March 25 2020

New voting arrangements are being made to safeguard the health of shareholders