Rwanda drops appeal against acquittal of dissident Rwigara

Rwanda’s government has withdrawn an appeal against the acquittal of dissident politician Diane Rwigara, who was tried on charges of inciting insurrection and forgery, prosecutors said Wednesday.

Rwigara was found not guilty last month at the end of the high-profile trial that highlighted a crackdown on the opposition in the East African country.

Prosecutors had appealed the acquittal, but the justice ministry last week instructed them not to go forward with it.

“We got an injunction from the ministry of justice and attorney general to withdraw the appeal. This is a constitutional injunction and the minster has the power to make that order, so we have written to the court to withdraw the appeal,” Faustin Nkusi, spokesman for the National Public Prosecution Authority told AFP.

Rwigara is the daughter of Assinapol Rwigara, an industrialist who in the 1990s was a major donor to the ruling Rwandan Patriotic Front (FPR) party before falling out with its leaders.


She became an unusual voice of criticism in tightly-run Rwanda ahead of the country’s presidential election in August 2017.

Her bid to run in the poll was denied on the grounds she allegedly forged the signatures of supporters for her application.

She was arrested in September last year and charged with forgery and inciting insurrection for comments criticising the government and President Paul Kagame in the run-up to the vote.

After spending over a year in jail, she and her mother were released on bail in October, and acquitted on December 6.

Their acquittal came at a time of immense international pressure on the government of Rwanda, with several American legislators, as well as organisations like Amnesty International calling for their release.

Kagame has been praised for putting Rwanda on the path of economic transformation after the 1994 genocide that devastated the tiny east African country.

But he faces regular criticism over rights abuses in his country and intolerance of the opposition.

© Agence France-Presse

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever. But it comes at a cost. Advertisers are cancelling campaigns, and our live events have come to an abrupt halt. Our income has been slashed.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years. We’ve survived thanks to the support of our readers, we will need you to help us get through this.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Agency
External source
Advertising

New August 31 deadline for the last learners to return...

In an amendment published in the Government Gazette on Tuesday, the basic education minister has made further changes to the school return dates for different grades

Eskom refers employees suspected of contracts graft for criminal investigations

The struggling power utility has updated Parliament on investigations into contracts where more than R4-billion was lost in overpayments
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday