Pule Mabe says he is ready for findings following sexual harassment hearing

Pule Mabe says he is ready for the results of the ANC’s internal disciplinary hearing.

In December last year, the ANC initiated a disciplinary hearing after Mabe was accused of sexually harassing his 26-year-old personal assistant.

Mabe told eNCA on Wednesday that the complainant could not attend the disciplinary hearing on Wednesday, leading to a postponement of the hearing. The dates, Mabe said, had “long been confirmed” for January 9 and 10.

The complainant, however, disagreed. She says the date of the hearing was communicated late, and she had previous family commitments which meant she could not attend.

She expressed her shock, saying Mabe had gone against the party’s wishes by revealing when the hearing was meant to sit.


In a 14-page letter to the party’s deputy secretary general Jessie Duarte, Mabe’s assistant detailed how he offered her a job in exchange for sex. At the time, the assistant asked Duarte to intervene.

READ MORE: ANC acts fast to probe sex scandal

Mabe took leave of his duties as the ANC’s national spokesperson in December pending the results of the hearing.

The panel is chaired by NEC members S’dumo Dlamini and Thoko Didiza and is expected to make a finding that will be binding on both parties.

When asked about his response to the allegations, Mabe told the eNCA that he had agreed to participate in the internal processes of the ANC. He said he would state his case in the appropriate channels: “It would be very unfair of me after having agreed to the discipline of the movement to go outside the forum. The panel is doing its job.”

Watch Pule Mabe’s response to eNCA.

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Related stories

Advertising
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday