Get more Mail & Guardian
Subscribe or Login

Kenyatta announces end to al-Shabab attack in Nairobi

Kenyan president Uhuru Kenyatta announced on Wednesday that the siege by al-Shabab extremists at an upmarket hotel complex in Nairobi is over and that the attackers have been “eliminated”.

In a televised address, Kenyatta told the nation that about 700 civilians were evacuated from the DusitD2 hotel compound during the terror attack which started on Tuesday afternoon and lasted 20 hours, and that 14 fatalities were confirmed.

Police had previously reported 15 dead.

READ MORE: 15 killed in ongoing al-Shabab attack in Nairobi

“I can confirm that… the security operation at Dusit complex is over and all the terrorists eliminated.

“As of this moment, we have confirmation that 14 innocent lives were lost to the… terrorists, with others injured.”

Somali armed group al-Shabab claimed responsibility for the attack at the complex which is made up of a 101-roomed hotel, restaurant, spa and office building. The attack began with two explosions — a suicide bomber in the hotel foyer and three cars exploding in the parking lot. The explosions were accompanied by several gunfights between security and gunmen.

Kenyan police chief Joseph Boinnet told AFP that five attackers were killed.

“There were five terrorists and all of them are no more. It is a clearing exercise now going on there.” 

Al-Shabab has repeatedly targeted Kenya since the country sent its army into Somalia in 2011 to fight the extremist group.

In 2013, the group killed 67 people when gunmen stormed the Westgate shopping mall in Nairobi. Al-Shabab further killed another 148 people in 2015 at the Garissa University College in eastern Kenya. 

Subscribe for R500/year

Thanks for enjoying the Mail & Guardian, we’re proud of our 36 year history, throughout which we have delivered to readers the most important, unbiased stories in South Africa. Good journalism costs, though, and right from our very first edition we’ve relied on reader subscriptions to protect our independence.

Digital subscribers get access to all of our award-winning journalism, including premium features, as well as exclusive events, newsletters, webinars and the cryptic crossword. Click here to find out how to join them and get a 57% discount in your first year.

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

If you’re reading this, you clearly have great taste

If you haven’t already, you can subscribe to the Mail & Guardian for less than the cost of a cup of coffee a week, and get more great reads.

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Subscribers only

R350 social relief grant not enough to live on

Nearly half of the population in South Africa — one of the most unequal countries in the world — is considered chronically poor.

More top stories

State to subpoena and fact-check Agrizzi’s ‘illness’ claims

The National Prosecuting Authority will conduct its own probe into Angelo Agrizzi’s claims of ill health, after he failed to attend court again

UK puts army on standby as fuel pumps run dry

Desperate motorists queued up at fuel pumps across Britain, draining tanks, fraying tempers and prompting calls for the government to use emergency powers to give priority access to healthcare and other essential workers

Tigrayans are starving to death

The famine that was feared has come to pass, and aid just isn’t getting in

How to game Twitter’s algorithm – and hoodwink journalists

It is possible to convince newsrooms looking for a topical story that something is news when it isn’t, to dangerous effect
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×