Get more Mail & Guardian
Subscribe or Login

WhatsApp limits forwarding function to fight misinformation

On Monday, messaging platform WhatsApp announced an update which will limit the number of times a message can be forwarded in a bid to fight misinformation.

“We’re imposing a limit of five messages all over the world as of today,” said Victoria Grand, vice president for policy and communications at WhatsApp announced.

WhatsApp’s initial cap on message forwarding comes after several killings in India last year occurred as a result of false information being circulated on the social media network.

Scores of people in India were killed last year in mob-related lynchings after misinformation spread on the messaging app.

READ MORE: Fake news adds to India’s flood torment

Previously, WhatsApp users could forward a message to up to 20 recipients or group chats. According to the Washington Post, WhatsApp is the main platform for the spreading of disinformation in Brazil, India, Pakistan, Zimbabwe and Mexico.

The app’s end-to-end encryption allows groups of hundreds of users to exchange messages, documents, photos and video beyond the reach of independent fact checkers or even the platform itself.

With approximately 1.5-billion users globally, WhatsApp has been looking for ways to curb the spread of fake news and audio hoaxes, after the social media network had been misused in a number of instances.

The update comes a day after a WhatsApp message went viral in South Africa, allegedly written by a Sunday Times journalist. The message claims that the Sunday Times initiated disciplinary procedures against a journalist for refusing to link her story on Bosasa whistle-blower Angelo Agrizzi, to former president Jacob Zuma.

READ MORE: WhatsApp claiming reporter was axed over Bosasa article dismissed as ‘fake news’

The message has since been identified as false, and the journalist in question — Farida Joyce — has confirmed that she neither wrote the message, nor has she ever worked at the Sunday Times.

The article in question was written by Sunday Times journalist Qaanitah Hunter, who refuted the claims made in the message.

Vote for an informed choice

We’re dropping the paywall this week so that everyone can access all our stories for free, and get the information they need in the run up to the local government elections. For the latest updates and political analysis, sign up to our daily elections newsletter.

If our coverage helps inform your decision, cast your vote for an informed public and join our subscriber community. Right now, a full year’s access is just R510, half the usual cost. Subscribers get access to all our best journalism, subscriber-only newsletters, events and a weekly cryptic crossword.

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Latest stories

Sisulu to appeal Umgeni board court ruling

New Water and Sanitation Minister Senzo Mchunu has already started moves to implement the court order and dissolve Sisulu’s interim board

High court dismisses Zuma’s plea for state prosecutor Billy Downer’s...

Judge Piet Koen set 11 April 2022 as the date for the arms deal trial to commence and if Zuma’s counsel signalled that they may seek leave to appeal, this is highly unlikely to force an umpteenth delay

Drop in registered voters, but will turnout continue to rise?

Voter turnout for local government elections has steadily risen since 2000, but the uptick could be stalled by Covid-19, much like registration has been

Police identify 300 high risk areas during local government elections

Police minister Bheki Cele said they have identified the KZN, Gauteng, Eastern Cape and Western Cape provinces as high risk areas deploying a high contingent of police and SANDF
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×