Corruption charges against Duduzane Zuma withdrawn — for now, says report

The National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) will reportedly withdraw corruption charges against former president Jacob Zuma’s son Duduzane in the Specialised Commercial Crimes Court on Thursday.

Business Day reported on Wednesday that Duduzane Zuma’s lawyers wouldn’t comment until the court process was finalised on Thursday morning.

NPA spokesperson Phindi Mjonondwane Aldo reportedly told Business Day the state would comment only after Thursday’s court proceedings.

According to that publication, the NPA sent a letter to Duduzane Zuma’s lawyers on Tuesday, notifying them of the provisional withdrawal of the charges.

While the reason for that withdrawal was unknown, the letter follows the NPA’s decision to provisionally withdraw charges against Gupta family members and associates late in 2018, in connection with the alleged Estina Dairy Project scam.


Free State NPA spokesperson Phaladi Shuping told News24 at the time that South African law enforcement agencies were hard at work, along with those from the UAE and India, to get “more evidence” in the quest to reinstitute the charges against the Guptas.

Duduzane Zuma appeared in court on July 9 last year on corruption charges, and he was granted bail of R100 000 and was ordered to hand over his passport.

He was charged with corruption for the alleged role he played in an attempt to bribe from deputy finance minister Mcebisi Jonas at the Guptas’ Saxonwold home in 2015.

READ MORE: Hlongwane and Duduzane on Jonas blackmailing ‘rumours’

It has been reported that, at a meeting with Duduzane, businessman Fana Hlongwane and one of the Ajay Gupta, Jonas was allegedly offered the position of finance minister, as well as a bribe of R600-million.

Jonas revealed how he was offered a bribe to take the job of finance minister. It is alleged that Duduzane was a party to the crime because he was present when the offer was made to Jonas by Gupta.

Duduzane is also meant to appear in the Randburg Magistrate’s Court on Thursday on another matter. He is facing two charges of culpable homicide and a count of negligent driving relating to an accident in February 2014, when he crashed into a taxi after losing control of his Porsche on the Grayston Drive off-ramp on the M1, north of Johannesburg. — News 24

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Agency
External source

Related stories

ANC needs young leaders and uDuduzane could be one

Youth Day, June 16, reminds us of the role of youth in the struggle against oppression throughout the history of the ANC

Firestorms: How Australia’s bushfires created their own weather

During Victoria's Black Saturday bushfires in 2009, lightning strikes caused new fires up to 100 kilometres away from the original blaze

Uganda police arrest pop-star MP Bobi Wine, teargas supporters

Having already been detained a number of times, the singer who looks set to challenge President Museveni in the 2021 elections has been arrested

Iraq parliament demands US troop ouster after Soleimani killing

Ties have deteriorated after an American precision drone strike killed Iran's Major General Qasem Soleimani

Sudan sentences Omar al-Bashir to two years for corruption

The former president is also wanted by the International Criminal Court on charges of war crimes and genocide linked to the Darfur conflict

UN suspends ties with Caritas in CAR over sex abuse probe

Caritas has been operating in the strife-torn country since 1991, mainly coordinating programmes to protect children and assist displaced people
Advertising

Subscribers only

Free State branches gun for Ace

Parts of the provincial ANC will target their former premier, Magashule, and the Free State PEC in a rolling mass action campaign

SAA bailout raises more questions

As the government continues to grapple with the troubles facing the airline, it would do well to keep on eye on the impending Denel implosion

More top stories

Hawks swoop down with more arrests in R1.4-billion corruption blitz

The spate of arrests for corruption continues apace in Gauteng and the Eastern Cape.

Catholic NGO boss accused of racism and abuse in Sudan

The aid worker allegedly called his security guard a ‘slave’

Agrizzi too ill to be treated at Bara?

The alleged crook’s “health emergency” — if that is what it is — shows up the flaws, either in our health system or in our leadership as a whole

SANDF hid R200m expenditure on ‘Covid’ drug it can’t use

Military health officials are puzzled by the defence department importing a drug that has not been approved for treating coronavirus symptoms from Cuba
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday