US ‘expects’ SA to hand over ex-Mozambique minister

The United States said on Tuesday it expects South Africa to hand over Maputo’s former finance minister, held since December on a US warrant over corruption allegations — despite a separate request from Mozambique.

Manuel Chang, 63, was arrested at O.R. Tambo International airport on December 29 over alleged involvement in $2-billion of fraudulent loans to Mozambican state firms.

Both the US and Mozambique have issued their own extradition requests over the scandal that has shaken the poor southern African country.

US Assistant Secretary of State Tibor Nagy said he expected Pretoria to honour the extradition accord it signed in September 1999.

“We have an extradition treaty with South Africa, we are very much expecting (extradition) will happen,” Nagy told journalists during a phone briefing.


“The US expects South Africa to respond by extraditing Mr Chang to the United States.”

A South African court is considering the complex law applicable to the conflicting demands and will consider Chang’s case on March 18.

However, last month Minister of International Relations and Cooperation Lindiwe Sisulu indicated that Chang would be handed to Maputo as it would be “the easiest thing for everybody”.

“We’re sending him to Mozambique to be tried,” Sisulu told the Daily Maverick.

“As soon as we are done with the Interpol case, we will allow Mozambique to have their former minister back,” she added.

The charges against Chang relate to loans taken out by Maputo when he was head of treasury between 2005 and 2015.

The money was allegedly used to secretly buy a tuna-fishing fleet and surveillance ships.

The former minister had enjoyed automatic immunity as a lawmaker but was stripped of the privilege as details of the scandal have emerged.

Mozambique has since also arrested several suspects linked to the debt scandal, including the son of ex-president Armando Guebuza, along with leading intelligence officials.

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Agency
External source

Related stories

The natural resource curse in Cabo Delgado

A humanitarian crisis looms as a violent insurgency continues to sweep over northern Mozambique. As many flee to safety, the question remains: who, or what, fuels the fire?

Mozambican authorities must stop the attack on media freedom

When journalists stop telling the truth about what’s going on in their country, when they stop exposing wrongdoing and corruption allegations, everyone suffers

Kidnappings shake Mozambique’s business community

Impunity for the perpetrators has analysts worried that the trend of kidnapping businesspeople in Mozambique may grow

Isis is not driving the Cabo Delgado war

Can Frelimo and its backers continue to profit from a failing state while an armed insurgency rages in northern Mozambique? And will South Africa help prop them up?

Vital remittance flows plummet due to Covid-19 lockdown

Money sent home by migrant workers in South Africa fell about 80% in April after the hard lockdown was instituted

Third time lucky: Will Mozambique’s peace deal last?

It’s been a year since Frelimo and Renamo signed the Maputo Accord. This time, the peace might just hold
Advertising

Subscribers only

SAA bailout raises more questions

As the government continues to grapple with the troubles facing the airline, it would do well to keep on eye on the impending Denel implosion

ANC’s rogue deployees revealed

Despite 6 300 ANC cadres working in government, the party’s integrity committee has done little to deal with its accused members

More top stories

Eastern Cape universities concerned by rising Covid cases

Fort Hare says 26 more students have tested positive while Walter Sisulu University says some of its students have been admitted to hospital.

SAA in talks to recoup R350-million in blocked funds...

The cash-strapped national carrier is in the process of recouping its blocked funds from Zimbabwe, which could go towards financing the airline’s business rescue plan

NSFAS’s woes do not help its mandate

Nehawu wants the scheme’s administrator, Randall Carolissen, to be removed

Unions cry foul over SABC dismissal costs and retrenchments

Broadcaster bodies say claims that a recent skills audit is unrelated to retrenchments are ‘irrational’
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday