Get more Mail & Guardian
Subscribe or Login

Netanyahu election rival calls for probe after phone hack

The main challenger to Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in April elections wants an investigation into leaks that led to stories about his phone being hacked, suggesting the premier’s allies were behind the leak.

Israel’s Channel 12 television reported last week that Benny Gantz’s telephone had been hacked by Iranian intelligence.

Gantz, a former military chief of staff, later confirmed the hack without saying who was behind it, but added there was nothing on the phone that could be used to blackmail him.

A Gantz ally has since said Iran was not behind the hack.

In a letter sent to Attorney General Avichai Mandelblit on Saturday, Gantz’s lawyers called for a urgent investigation into the leak of the information.

“There is no denying that there is a series of indications… that the leak would have come from a certain office located in Jerusalem,” the letter said, adding however that there should be an investigation and not speculation over the leak’s source.

Israeli media reported that domestic security agency Shin Bet informed him of the hack of his phone five weeks ago.

Yair Lapid, a former finance minister who joined forces with Gantz to form their Blue and White electoral alliance, said that Netanyahu’s “use of sensitive security materials to try and besmirch Benny Gantz proves he’s afraid of him”.

Netanyahu’s office has said that the premier was not updated by the head of the Shin Bet on the affair.

Opinion polls show Gantz’s centrist alliance could win the most seats in April 9 elections, but it is unclear whether it would be able to assemble enough parties for a coalition.

Subscribe to the M&G

Thanks for enjoying the Mail & Guardian, we’re proud of our 36 year history, throughout which we have delivered to readers the most important, unbiased stories in South Africa. Good journalism costs, though, and right from our very first edition we’ve relied on reader subscriptions to protect our independence.

Digital subscribers get access to all of our award-winning journalism, including premium features, as well as exclusive events, newsletters, webinars and the cryptic crossword. Click here to find out how to join them.

Agency
External source

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

If you’re reading this, you clearly have great taste

If you haven’t already, you can subscribe to the Mail & Guardian for less than the cost of a cup of coffee a week, and get more great reads.

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Subscribers only

R350 relief grant will be paid into bank accounts or...

There are concerns that post office branch closures will make it difficult for beneficiaries to access the grant

South Africa at risk of spillover from international inflation, economists...

Higher international oil prices, for example, could affect local transport costs through second-round effects

More top stories

Ford Everest Sport: Reclaiming the essence of the SUV

The new Ford Everest Sport reminds us of what we want from a big family carrier

Companies affected by unrest can apply for support as soon...

Labour Minister Thulas Nxesi urges employers to be honest when applying for help

Mboweni extends R38bn to cope with double calamity of Covid-19...

The finance minister extended the Ters relief and the social distress relief grant, and also ensured businesses hit by looting can access insurance

South Africa appalled that Israel given AU observer status

The international relations department has released a statement condemning the decision
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×