Get more Mail & Guardian
Subscribe or Login

Sunday Times stripped of journalism award for Cato Manor ‘death squad’ reporting

Conveners of the prestigious Taco Kuiper Award for Investigative Journalism have withdrawn awards given to three Sunday Times journalists for their Cato Manor killings reports due to elements of the story being called into question.

In 2011, the paper ran a front page story titled “Shoot to Kill” which was authored by journalists Stephan Hoffstatter, Mzilikazi wa Africa and Rob Rose. The article claimed to have lifted the lid on “killings committed by an elite police unit”. The three were given the Taco Kuiper Award for Investigative Journalism runner-up award in 2012.

READ MORE: NOT the news. More damage expected in Sunday Times fake news fallout

It was former regional head of the Hawks General Johan Booysen who raised the alarm on aspects of the story.

According to convener Anton Harber, after conducting its own investigation, the awards body will withdraw the runner-up award and has asked that the journalists return it.

“While there was a legitimate story around the Cato Manor unit — the reporting, writing and editing was shoddy and amateurish, leading to serious errors and gaps in the report,” said Harber.

“With the information that has come to light, it is clear that this work did not merit the recognition of the award.”

Entrants to be screened

Harber said the award was given “in good faith, based on the information before us at the time”.

In October, Sunday Times editor Bongani Siqoko issued an apology on the reporting of the Cator Manor killings as more questions were raised on aspects of the story.

“We committed mistakes and allowed ourselves to be manipulated by those with ulterior motives.

“For that, we failed you. We failed SA. We deeply regret it,” said Siqoko at the time.

The awards body has said it had taken extra measures this year to ensure it does not repeat the mistake.

“We have this year subjected entries to detailed screening before our judging process, putting questions to entrants where there was a lack of clarity about any aspect of the story or reporting on it.

“We will be vigilant in ensuring integrity of the award and ensuring that we recognise and encourage the highest quality of investigative reporting in the public interest,” Harber added.

The editor could not be immediately reached for comment at the time this story was published. — News24

Subscribe to the M&G

Thanks for enjoying the Mail & Guardian, we’re proud of our 36 year history, throughout which we have delivered to readers the most important, unbiased stories in South Africa. Good journalism costs, though, and right from our very first edition we’ve relied on reader subscriptions to protect our independence.

Digital subscribers get access to all of our award-winning journalism, including premium features, as well as exclusive events, newsletters, webinars and the cryptic crossword. Click here to find out how to join them.

Kamva Somdyala
Kamva Somdyala
Byline at News24

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

If you’re reading this, you clearly have great taste

If you haven’t already, you can subscribe to the Mail & Guardian for less than the cost of a cup of coffee a week, and get more great reads.

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Subscribers only

Life Esidimeni inquest postponed until August 30

The lawyer for the bereaved families argued that Dr Makgabo Manamela’s requests for postponements have a negative impact on the families of the deceased who seek closure

RECAP: Mbeki tells ANC that land without compensation goes against...

‘This would be a very serious disincentive to investment,’ says Thabo Mbeki in a document arguing that the ANC should not proceed with the Constitutional amendment of section 25

More top stories

Phoenix killings: 22 suspects held

A total of 36 murder charges are being probed in the wake of vigilante attacks in the area during last month’s riots

ANC Integrity Committee recommends Zweli Mkhize step aside

ANC sources say the report by the committee will be tabled at the next national executive committee meeting

Police union condemns robbery of Northern Cape police station, blames...

Three men made off with shotguns, R5 rifles, pistols and ammunition after pouncing on the Tsineng police station

Rivals agree on new measures to end Cape Town taxi...

But key route remains closed and affected areas halt issuing of operating licences
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×