Both allies opponents of President Cyril Ramaphosa on ANC lists receive objections

The Electoral Commission of South Africa (IEC) has received objections to two of the ANC’s highest ranking officials — ANC deputy president David Mabuza and chairman Gwede Mantashe — who feature in the number two and three slots of the party’s national list individuals it would like to send to Parliament.

The IEC has received objections to over 20 candidates on the ANC’s list of MPs and members of provincial legislatures spanning across factions — those aligned to both the “reformists” and those loyal to former president Jacob Zuma. Both groups are entangled in allegations of state capture and corruption, according to a letter to the party from the commission, which the Mail & Guardian has seen.

The IEC released party lists for public comment last week.

Any member of the public can raise an objection to any of the candidates on the list. The letter from the IEC did not indicate who had raised the objection.

The objection period closed on Tuesday, April 2 and parties are now being afforded the opportunity to respond to the objections. Parties received the letters this week and were given until April 3 to respond to them.

The IEC will notify those who made the objections on the outcome of the process by April 8.

According to the letter, objections were also received against current MPs Nomvula Mokonyane, Malusi Gigaba, Bathabile Dlamini, Mosebenzi Zwane, David Mahlobo, Tina Joemat-Pettersson, Zweli Mkhize, Angie Motshekga, Yunus Carrim, Thoko Didiza, Cedric Frolick, Vincent Smith as well as ANC head of the Presidency Zizi Kodwa.

The letter informing the ANC of objections said the reasons included that the conduct of the individuals were viewed as “unbecoming of persons wanting to become or continue to be office bearers”.

“The submissions consists of various allegations against the candidates reflected on the ANC’s candidate list in respect of conduct listed below,” the letter said.

“1. Allegations of corruption… due to the ongoing revelations as canvassed via the Zondo commission, various court cases and information provided via news agencies and social media.

“2. Allegations of criminal acts carried out by some members who have been accused of inter alia theft, fraud and rape,” the letter read.

The M&G has confirmed the letter’s authenticity.

The IEC would not comment on letters it had sent to individual political parties.

Similar letters were sent to other political parties, who had objections lodged against candidates on their lists.

IEC chief electoral officer Sy Mamabolo, in a statement on the process in general, said the commission received objections to candidates in nine political parties affecting 53 individuals on their lists. 

Read the letter from the IEC to the ANC.

Electoral Commission of South Africa letter to the ANC by Mail and Guardian on Scribd

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever. But it comes at a cost. Advertisers are cancelling campaigns, and our live events have come to an abrupt halt. Our income has been slashed.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years. We’ve survived thanks to the support of our readers, we will need you to help us get through this.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Natasha Marrian
Natasha Marrian
Marrian has built a reputation as an astute political journalist, investigative reporter and commentator. Until recently she led the political team at Business Day where she also produced a widely read column that provided insight into the political spectacle of the week.
Advertisting

Nehawu launches urgent court bid over protective gear for health...

The health workers’ union says the government has rebuffed its attempts to meet about mitigating risks to workers

Stay at home, Cyril said. But what about the homeless?

In Tshwane, forcing homeless people off the street resulted in chaos and the abuse of a vulnerable population. In Durban, a smooth, well-planned operation fared far better

Press Releases

New energy mix on the cards

REI4P already has and will continue to yield thousands of employment opportunities

The online value of executive education in a Covid-19 world

Executive education courses further develop the skills of leaders in the workplace

Sisa Ntshona urges everyone to stay home, and consider travelling later

Sisa Ntshona has urged everyone to limit their movements in line with government’s request

SAB Zenzele’s special AGM postponed until further notice

An arrangement has been announced for shareholders and retailers to receive a 77.5% cash payout

20th Edition of the National Teaching Awards

Teachers are seldom recognised but they are indispensable to the country's education system

Awards affirm the vital work that teachers do

Government is committed to empowering South Africa’s teachers with skills, knowledge and techniques for a changing world

SAB Zenzele special AGM rescheduled to March 25 2020

New voting arrangements are being made to safeguard the health of shareholders