Eskom’s Medupi and Kusile to cost R36bn to complete, will not be halted — Mabuza

Construction on the Medupi and Kusile power stations will go ahead as the cost of halting the projects will not benefit the economy, the Chairperson of the Eskom board Jabu Mabuza has said.

The power plants are expected to cost R18-billion each.

Mabuza was speaking at a media briefing on the state of South Africa’s power supply on Wednesday along with other Eskom executives and Public Enterprises Minister Pravin Gordhan.

The building of the coal-fired power stations, which started in 2007 and 2008, has been hit by cost overruns, poor engineering designs and allegations of corruption.

Mabuza said questions had been raised on whether it would be feasible to stop construction on the multi-billion rand coal plants now or to continue the process until completion.


READ MORE: Medupi and Kusile: Costly and faulty

“We have done the exercise and have concluded that the costs of not continuing is not going to be met by the benefit of continuing,” said Mabuza.

He said the questions about the viability of stopping the construction at the two mega power plants had been raised by some board members who wanted to know the cost implications if the projects were to be stopped.

“Given that they are at a point where they are almost complete… it would cost around R18-billion each to complete,” he said.

Mabuza said that should they not complete the projects, it was estimated that an additional cost of more or less R8-billion would be incurred in contractual, legal costs and penalties.

“So if you stop this, then you are going to have to build something else.”

He said this could take between 60 and 66 months.

Once hailed as the answer to the country’s electricity supply challenges, the costs for the plants have already escalated to over R300-billion, as revealed this year by the Department of Public Enterprises before a parliamentary Portfolio Committee.

Once completed, Medupi power station was expected to consist of six units, with an installed capacity of 4 764MW. In October 2018, Eskom announced that five of its six units had been synchronised to the national power grid

Unit 1 of Kusile went live in August 2017, according to the power utility. The facility will have six units, each producing 800MW of electricity.

Sunday Times report this year revealed that the Special Investigating Unit (SIU) was investigating alleged theft of R139-billion related to the construction of Medupi and Kusile power stations.

According to the newspaper, the SIU is looking at 11 contractors as part of its investigation into the building of the two facilities. — Fin24

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Related stories

Eskom cancels dodgy R100m tender linked to Mabuza’s niece

An internal investigation revealed ‘irregularities’ in the process of awarding the contract

Solar stuck where sun don’t shine: State spends R289m to store solar water heaters

The national solar water heater programme is set to take off once again this year, but meanwhile the government is spending millions on storing heaters that have yet to be installed

Another reason why Eskom is the bull in the fiscal china shop

Although mismanagement and corruption play a role in the financial state of affairs at municipalities, it is not the only reason they are failing

Eskom must lead the energy shift

Any plans to change from coal-fired power to renewable and affordable electricity must include turning the power utility into a true public entity

Eskom refers employees suspected of contracts graft for criminal investigations

The struggling power utility has updated Parliament on investigations into contracts where more than R4-billion was lost in overpayments

UN special rapporteur on the environment joins local air pollution case

The state is facing a court battle about big industry’s emissions and their link to poor health. This is a public health concern and the government must take action to save lives
Advertising

Ingonyama Trust Board moves to retrench staff

More than 50 workers at the Ingonyama Trust Board have been issued section 189 notices

Tito needs the IMF, South Africa doesn’t

The IMF loan is given with false motivation — to provide political cover for entrenched neoliberalism and deep cuts in the public service

No proof of Covid-19 reinfection, yet

Some people report testing positive for Covid-19 after initially having the disease and then testing negative. Scientists are still trying to understand if this means that reinfection is possible
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday