KZN ANCYL leader gunned down outside his home

Another KwaZulu-Natal ANC Youth League (ANCYL) leader has been gunned down outside his home, police said on Wednesday.

Dumisani Moyo, the chairperson of the eThekwini region’s Ward 7 was shot outside his home on Tuesday night in Ntshongweni, west of Durban.

KZN police spokesperson Captain Nqobile Gwala said the incident happened just before 10pm. “As he arrived at his home, he was shot by two unknown men who then fled the scene,” Gwala said.

According to Gwala, Moyo was taken to a local clinic where he died. A murder investigation docket has been opened and police are investigating the incident.

No arrests have been made as yet.


eNCA reported that KZN ANCYL provincial secretary Thanduxolo Sabelo expressed his anger at what he calls a “politically motivated” killing. He told the broadcaster that the killings, according to the ANCYL, “have political connotations”.

At the same time, youth league leader in the province told iOL that Moyo’s death was a”big loss”.

“We know the contribution made by this young man to the emancipation of the community in general and the youth in particular.

In March, the ANCYL in KZN bemoaned the fact that the youth had been the “biggest casualty in political killings”.

“The youth in this province has been the biggest casualty in these senseless killings of political activists. We, therefore, call for the full might of the law to be meted against anyone who is involved in these senseless killings no matter their standing in society,” the league said at the time. — News24

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Kamva Somdyala
Kamva Somdyala
Byline at News24

Related stories

Free State branches gun for Ace

Parts of the provincial ANC will target their former premier, Magashule, and the Free State PEC in a rolling mass action campaign

Eusebius McKaiser: Reject the dichotomy of political horrors

Senekal shows us that we must make a stand against the loud voice of the populist EFF and racist rightwingers

The demon of cronyism in the public service must be crushed

When employees do not give their best, it is the organisation that suffers the most. In the case of government this directly affects citizens

Sitting targets and lame ducks

Everybody’s staying pozi, which is making all the arrests easy for the Hawks. Only Ace is desperate to be seen

ANC’s rogue deployees revealed

Despite 6 300 ANC cadres working in government, the party’s integrity committee has done little to deal with its accused members

South Africa requires a different vision than the ANC’s

In response to Ryno Geldenhuys’s piece Under Mbali Ntuli the DA would offer South Africans a new political home, published in the Mail & Guardian on 13 October
Advertising

Subscribers only

Free State branches gun for Ace

Parts of the provincial ANC will target their former premier, Magashule, and the Free State PEC in a rolling mass action campaign

SAA bailout raises more questions

As the government continues to grapple with the troubles facing the airline, it would do well to keep on eye on the impending Denel implosion

More top stories

Hawks swoop down with more arrests in R1.4-billion corruption blitz

The spate of arrests for corruption continues apace in Gauteng and the Eastern Cape.

Catholic NGO boss accused of racism and abuse in Sudan

The aid worker allegedly called his security guard a ‘slave’

Agrizzi too ill to be treated at Bara?

The alleged crook’s “health emergency” — if that is what it is — shows up the flaws, either in our health system or in our leadership as a whole

SANDF hid R200m expenditure on ‘Covid’ drug it can’t use

Military health officials are puzzled by the defence department importing a drug that has not been approved for treating coronavirus symptoms from Cuba
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday