Guaido rules out new Venezuela talks for now

Venezuela’s opposition leader Juan Guaido said on Tuesday there were no plans to re-open talks with the “murderous dictatorship” of President Nicolas Maduro, following the death of an officer in custody over an alleged coup plot.

“For democrats, there is never a time to negotiate with hostage-takers, human rights abusers, or with a dictatorship,” Guaido said. “We are facing a deadly dictatorship.”

He told reporters that if fresh talks aimed at “facilitating the cessation of the usurpation” of Maduro was announced, “we will officially communicate.”

Guaido, who has been recognised by more than 50 countries as interim president, was speaking as lawmakers of the opposition-controlled National Assembly met to discuss the suspicious death of retired naval officer Rafael Acosta Arevalo.

In contrast to Guaido’s remarks, Maduro said he was “sure” that talks would yield an agreement this year.

“We are going to achieve a great agreement” in 2019, Maduro said, speaking at a political event.

“I am sure, I have absolute certainty,” he said, promising that “there will be good news in the weeks to come.”

Venezuela’s Foreign Minister Jorge Arreaza said that the government was “waiting for the opposition to resume meetings in Norway.”

Representatives of Guaido and Maduro met face-to-face in Oslo early last month as part of talks mediated by Norway aimed at resolving the country’s political deadlock.

Acosta’s death Sunday sparked international condemnation.


UN rights chief Michelle Bachelet said Monday she was “shocked” by the death, adding weight to claims by the United States and the opposition that he may have been tortured.

He was one of several people being held over alleged involvement in what the government described as a failed coup.

© Agence France-Presse

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever. But it comes at a cost. Advertisers are cancelling campaigns, and our live events have come to an abrupt halt. Our income has been slashed.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years. We’ve survived thanks to the support of our readers, we will need you to help us get through this.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Agency
External source
Advertising

Schools: Confusion rather than clarity and confidence reign

The way in which Angie Motshekga has handled the reopening of schools has caused many people to lose confidence in her

The backlogs, denials and future of testing Covid-19

The National Health Laboratory Services finally admitted to a bottleneck last week, after denying there were any issues since April. According to the service, the backlog of 80 000 tests started in the first week of May
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday