Migration system is ‘xenophobic’

 

 

Bastin Kashita is a car guard in Johannesburg. He wants to move back to his home country — the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) — but it isn’t safe, he says. He moved to the City of Gold six years ago because of what has been termed “the silent crisis of inter-ethnic conflict” in his home country.

“There was a lot of fighting with the army in the DRC,” he says, mixing his French and English. “It’s very, very bad. At the time there was a problem. I had to leave my four kids in the DRC. My wife came with me.”

Even though Kashita has not been personally attacked for being a migrant, he is constantly worried about his safety.

In September — at the height of the xenophobic attacks, when he hid in his house fearing for his life — the minister of home affairs, Dr Aaron Motsoaledi, was questioning the status of many asylum seekers, such as Kashita, who have fled from conflict areas across Africa.

“There must be war in the country. Tell me, where is war on this continent or in Pakistan and Bangladesh? Tell me, where is this war? Even in the DRC, war is in one region.”


His comments came during a briefing to the home affairs portfolio committee on September 17. There, Motsoaledi made it clear that he thinks the legalities concerning refugees in South Africa should be revisited. He added that even people who claim asylum in South Africa for alleged sexual orientation persecution in their home countries can’t provide proof.

On the “issue of gender” he said: “I know all over Africa leaders talk very carelessly about that. But there are very few areas where there are actual persecutions.

“How can we [South Africa] be said to be xenophobic when we’ve got more Basotho than Lesotho itself? We’ve got more Batswana than Botswana itself. We’ve got the biggest percentage of Indians outside of India. There is no other country that has as many people who come from India than in South Africa,” he said.

Motsoaledi failed to respond to questions sent to his office on Tuesday.

Abigail Dawson, who works in the advocacy division at the Consortium for Refugees and Migrants in South Africa, says the migration system is xenophobic.

“[There’s] a continued denialism and move towards normalisation of xenophobic langauge and practice by political leaders and legitimising a more generalised xenophobic discourse,” she says.

“One can see a trend towards deportation [of foreign migrants] as a form of management,” she says. “It’s part of a cyclical issue where it’s very difficult to get [legal] status, which you’ve almost institutionally made illegal in this country because of the huge backlog and failures at the department of home affairs with documented people.

“The White Paper on Inter­national Migration is calling for the closure of refugee reception centres, to be replaced by what’s called the border management agency. It’s moving towards the encampment of people until their asylum statuses are verified.”

Responding to a question in Parliament in July, Motsoaledi said that the number of active asylum seekers in South Africa as of December last year was nearly 185 000. He added that more than 50 000 were from Ethiopia, nearly 35 000 were from the DRC and just over 27 000 came from Bangladesh.

According to the United Nations, the violent clashes between the Batwa and Bantu ethnic groups in the DRC began in 2013 and escalated in 2017, when more than 650 000 people were forced to flee.

Kashita was one of them and he obtained legal refugee status.

Despite his legal status, he is saving up $300 to support his family back home. Eventually, he wants to move back.

“If I find enough money, I will go back. But I can’t go now. There is no money. If there is peace I will go.”

Jacques Coetzee is an Adamela data fellow at the Mail & Guardian, a position funded by the Indigo Trust. 

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Jacques Coetzee 1
Guest Author

Related stories

Women accuse aid workers of sexual abuse during the DRC’s Ebola crisis

More than 50 women have accused Ebola aid workers from the World Health Organisation...

Refugees the scapegoat of SA’s ills

A girl’s experience tells the story of xenophobia and how it robbed her of a sense of belonging

The Portfolio: Levy Pooe

Artist Levy Pooe conceptualises his work as ‘a social diary of being black in the city’

Herman Mashaba wants you to forget

When considering Herman Mashaba’s new political plans, the South African public must reckon with the former mayor of Johannesburg's actual record

The list: Athi-Patra Ruga’s constant reinvention

Characters have been a central part to Athi-Patra Ruga’s practice since the early days of his artistic career. Here he lets us in on their backstories

Covid-19 is an opportunity to make our circles bigger

Xenophobia stalks us in this moment of crisis; our hope lies in humanity’s capacity to rebuild
Advertising

Subscribers only

Free State branches gun for Ace

Parts of the provincial ANC will target their former premier, Magashule, and the Free State PEC in a rolling mass action campaign

ANC’s rogue deployees revealed

Despite 6 300 ANC cadres working in government, the party’s integrity committee has done little to deal with its accused members

More top stories

Hawks swoop down with more arrests in R1.4-billion corruption blitz

The spate of arrests for corruption continues apace in Gauteng and the Eastern Cape.

Catholic NGO boss accused of racism and abuse in Sudan

The aid worker allegedly called his security guard a ‘slave’

Agrizzi too ill to be treated at Bara?

The alleged crook’s “health emergency” — if that is what it is — shows up the flaws, either in our health system or in our leadership as a whole

SANDF hid R200m expenditure on ‘Covid’ drug it can’t use

Military health officials are puzzled by the defence department importing a drug that has not been approved for treating coronavirus symptoms from Cuba
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday