M&G Media is seeking a new Editor-in-Chief for all of its platforms and publications.
Job Title: Editor-in-Chief – The Mail & Guardian
Accountable to: the Chief Executive Officer – M&G Media Limited
Responsible for: Editorial control and management of all M&G Media print and digital output
The incumbent will be officially responsible for the role from October 1 2020.
Contracted three-year term, renewable for a maximum of one additional three-year period. The first six months is a probationary period.
Time commitment: Full-time Role
Remuneration: The remuneration will be commensurate with experience for the role, that takes into account the working conditions brought about by the Covid-19 pandemic
Overview of M&G Media Limited
M&G Media is a leading independent publishing company whose principal business is the dissemination of news, current affairs information, opinion pieces as well as all forms of advertising by way of print, online and other innovative media platforms.
The publication began as an alternative newspaper by a collection of journalists in 1985, after the closure of two leading liberal newspapers, The Rand Daily Mail and the Sunday Express. It was originally known as the Weekly Mail as the paper was not in a position to publish daily. With minimal initial capital on hand at the onset of the paper, it was funded by liberal professionals, academics and business leaders who contributed what they could to garner support for a fresh and independent publication in South Africa.
Over the next 30 years, the publication nurtured its reputation and consistently gained traction in the market, thereby establishing international credibility and winning numerous awards both locally and internationally. Mail & Guardian has always been irreverent, bold and self‐opinionated in all matters, but with a special focus on all that is political.
The publication’s values, which have been forged through history and evidenced by such events described above lend credibility to its independence, investigative prowess and editorial excellence.
Overview of the Editor-in-Chief Position
The Editor-in-Chief is supported by a team of staff in the Editorial Newsroom of M&G Media Limited situated in Auckland Park, Johannesburg, South Africa.
The main duties of the Editor-in-Chief include:
- To provide editorial leadership and oversight of the news production process
- To maintain efficient processes to ensure quality output on its various channels
- To ensure a robust and dynamic news workflow and cycle
- To articulate and implement an editorial vision and strategy for the company that is relevant to current developments in South Africa and beyond its borders
- To retain oversight of the overall editorial quality of images and text, that are published across our platforms
- To work together with CEO to promote the reputation, editorial success and prosperity of the company
- To act as a spokesperson for the company at various editorial platforms and conferences
- To have input into matters of editorial policy and to ensure that wherever possible the company adheres to best practice guidelines in terms of publication ethics.
- Writing editorial pieces to contribute to the publication
- Developing and managing budgets for the editorial team
- Working to advance the commercial success of the publication
- Work with the rest of the organisation to build a deeper relationship with audiences with the goal of building our subscriber base
- To retain its status as one of the foremost political and investigative news platforms in Southern Africa.
Required skills and experience
- The position requires the following skills, knowledge and experience:
- An excellent journalism track record, with a strong record of articles published
- Proven leadership skills, with the ability to work collaboratively with individuals and stakeholders
- A strong record of contributing to the review and editing of published material in various fields
- An excellent local and international network amongst industry peers
- Excellent written communication and interpersonal skills in English
- Excellent organisational skills, including an ability to work to tight deadlines and manage multiple competing priorities
- Demonstrated transformational leadership characteristics.
Candidates should send a current Curriculum Vitae and a covering letter that sets out their personal vision for the future of the Mail & Guardian, specific objectives to achieve that vision (over the duration of the term in office) strategies to increase output, readership, reputation and impact and their approach to maintaining the quality, accuracy and fairness of the review process.
Nominations and personal applications from suitably qualified and experienced candidates are invited to submit their applications by email attachment to [email protected], by Friday August 7 2020.