ANC caucus mum on Bongo resignation

The ANC caucus in Parliament has still not confirmed whether home affairs portfolio committee chairperson Bongani Bongo has resigned as an MP.

On Monday, news reports abounded that Bongo had stepped down as a member of the National Assembly and ANC national executive committee (NEC) after an extra-ordinary party meeting at the weekend to tackle issues of corruption in the party and state.

After the meeting, ANC president Cyril Ramaphosa said that party members who have corruption charges hanging over their heads must resign from their positions.

Bongo — who was minister of state security under Jacob Zuma’s presidency — faces charges of bribery and corruption in the Western Cape high court. This is in connection with how he allegedly tried to bribe parliamentary legal advisor Ntuthuzela Vanara with a blank cheque during parliament’s 2017 inquiry into the state capture of state-owned enterprises by the Gupta family. Bongo is currently out on bail.

But, the ANC caucus said it has no official confirmation of Bongo’s apparent resignation.


“There is still internal work that needs to be done in the office of the chief whip [Pemmy Majodina]. As soon as she has concluded those processes, then something will come out,” said caucus spokesperson Nomfanelo Kota.

Directly asked whether Bongo had resigned, Kota said she does not know. 

“There’s no confirmation. We must get a letter. And we have no indication on whether we have an official letter. We can’t be pre-emptive if we don’t have anything,” Kota added.

Earlier on Tuesday, Bongo was supposed to chair a meeting of parliament’s portfolio committee on home affairs to discuss the effects of the coronavirus lockdown on refugees in South Africa.

The committee’s secretary, Eddie Mathonsi, told MPs — who logged on to a virtual sitting of the committee — that Bongo had indicated he was on leave. 

While MPs were preparing to nominate a temporary chairperson to have the meeting continue, opposition party members queried Bongo’s absence.

Joe McGluwa from the Democratic Alliance (DA) raised an issue with Bongo’s no-show, adding that the timing of the leave was suspicious.

“Normally, when people take leave, they give reasons. We know there is this rumour on the reasons why [he is not here]. Can we be given reasons?”

Mathonsi said that when he had spoken to Bongo on Monday, he had only indicated that he was on leave.

“He told me he was on leave. He did not give me any reason. So I accept what I maybe also read in the news, but there’s no other reason except that he was on leave,” Mathonsi said.

Another DA MP, Thembisile Khanyile, placed on record her party’s original disapproval of Bongo being appointed by the ANC to head the portfolio committee.

Bongo was among other ANC MPs with dubious backgrounds, including Mosebenzi Zwane (transport committee chairperson), and Supra Mahumapelo (tourism committee chairperson) who, after being sworn in as MPs following the 2019 general election, were elevated to senior positions in Parliament by their party.

“The DA voted against the election of Mister Bongo as chairperson, and it was the ANC members who voted for him. So we hope the ANC has learnt their lesson … And going forward, we hope that you are going to trust us,” Khanyile said. 

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Lester Kiewit
Lester Kiewit
Lester Kiewit is a Reporter, Journalist, and Broadcaster.

Related stories

Advertising

Subscribers only

How lottery execs received dubious payments through a private company

The National Lottery Commission is being investigated by the SIU for alleged corruption and maladministration, including suspicious payments made to senior NLC employees between 2016 and 2017

Pandemic hobbles learners’ futures

South African schools have yet to open for the 2021 academic year and experts are sounding the alarm over lost learning time, especially in the crucial grades one and 12

More top stories

Zuma, Zondo play the waiting game

The former president says he will talk once the courts have ruled, but the head of the state capture inquiry appears resigned to letting the clock run out as the commission's deadline nears

Disinformation harms health and democracy

Conspiracy theorists abuse emotive topics to suck the air out of legitimate debate and further their own sinister agendas

Uganda: ‘I have never seen this much tear-gas in an...

Counting was slow across Uganda as a result of the internet shutdown, which affected some of the biometric machines used to validate voter registrations.

No way out for Thales in arms deal case, court...

The arms manufacturer has argued that there was no evidence to show that it was aware of hundreds of indirect payments to Jacob Zuma, but the court was not convinced.
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…