No image available
/ 26 July 2007

Downs tell bungling PSL to take a hike

A suggestion by a bungling Premier Soccer League (PSL) to league champions Mamelodi Sundowns to withdraw from the Telkom Charity Cup extravaganza at Mmabatho Stadium next Saturday has been rejected with the appropriate contempt. It was indeed the PSL who created the current embarrassing mish-mash in South African soccer.

No image available
/ 26 July 2007

Chiefs, Pirates eye second bite at the cherry

It is part of a series of friendly fixtures masquerading as a make-believe competition. But if there is a touch of the Mad Hatter’s illogic attached to the format of the Vodacom Challenge, it will not prevent what should be another near-capacity crowd from cramming into the Eastern Province Rugby Stadium on Thursday night.

No image available
/ 26 July 2007

Mulaudzi shines in Europe

Mbulaeni Mulaudzi, the 26-year-old world number one 800m runner, returned to his brilliant best at the Herculis Monaco Super Grand Prix on Wednesday when he won his event in a blistering one minute 43,74 seconds. It was the fastest time of the year and the first below 1:44. The gritty South African ran an outstanding race and issued a stern warning to the world elite.

No image available
/ 25 July 2007

Mine deaths leave minister concerned

The consistently high death toll of workers in South Africa’s mines is of great concern, Minerals and Energy Minister Buyelwa Sonjica said on a visit to AngloGold Ashanti’s Moab Khotsong mine near Orkney on Wednesday. The two deaths there over the weekend brought to four the toll at the mine, said chief inspector of mines Thabo Gazi.

No image available
/ 25 July 2007

‘Newspaper portrayed McBride as a criminal’

The Citizen portrayed Robert McBride as a criminal, his lawyer said during McBride’s R3,6-million defamation suit against the newspaper on Wednesday. Advocate Daniel Berger said acting editor Martin Williams had ignored the fact that McBride was granted amnesty, thus clearing his criminal record of acts that were politically motivated.

No image available
/ 25 July 2007

New fishing plan aims to save sea life

A plan to reduce the effects of commercial fishing fleets within Southern Africa’s so-called Benguela-current large marine ecosystem was released in Cape Town on Wednesday. Experts have hailed it as a clear and practical way of implementing an ”ecosystem approach to fisheries” policy in the region.

No image available
/ 25 July 2007

Rights commission condemns protest violence

The violence that has marred recent service-delivery protests cannot be justified, the South African Human Rights Commission said on Wednesday. While the commission recognises the right of any person to assemble, to demonstrate, to picket and to present petitions, ”inherent in this right is the respect for the rule of law”, the commission said in a statement.

No image available
/ 25 July 2007

Policy for multilingual govt documents welcomed

The decision by the Cabinet to approve the setting up of structures to ensure that government departments’ documents are available in all the official languages was welcomed by several organisations on Wednesday. ”The decision … is a first, yet far-reaching, intervention to ensure a commitment to multilingualism,” the Afrikanerbond said.

No image available
/ 25 July 2007

Who will be crowned Miss IFP?

The Inkatha Freedom Party (IFP) Youth Brigade hopes to pull the country’s youth out of its voting slumber through a ”Miss IFP” beauty pageant, launched on Wednesday. The contest is a bid to get young and first-time voters interested in the electoral process ahead of the 2009 elections.

No image available
/ 25 July 2007

Team SA ‘did South Africa proud’

Sascoc (South African Sports Confederation and Olympic Committee) president Moss Mashishi is pleased with Team South Africa’s performance at the ninth All Africa Games, which took place in Algeria earlier this month. Team SA came third in the event with 180 medals, of which 61 were gold.

No image available
/ 25 July 2007

DA gives Manto ultimatum over baby-deaths report

Unless Health Minister Manto Tshabalala-Msimang releases a full report on the deaths of babies in Eastern Cape’s Frere Hospital within the next 24 hours, the Democratic Alliance (DA) will take constitutional steps against her, the party warned on Wednesday. The DA’s health spokesperson, Mike Waters, said the party’s previous attempts to get the minister to release the report drew a blank.

No image available
/ 25 July 2007

Fitch raises SA outlook to positive

Ratings agency Fitch raised its outlook on South Africa’s ”BBB+” sovereign credit rating to positive from stable on Wednesday, citing the country’s rapid economic growth and improved prospects. ”The change in outlook reflects South Africa’s improved growth performance and prospects,” Veronica Kalema, a director in Fitch’s sovereign team, said in a statement.

No image available
/ 25 July 2007

SACP rejects interview with Hani killers

The South African Communist Party (SACP) has turned down an invitation for a question-and-answer session with the murderers of their secretary general Chris Hani, saying on Wednesday the two should rather hand their information to law enforcement authorities. Last week Janusz Walus and Clive Derby-Lewis sent the invitation to the SACP via their lawyers from prison.

No image available
/ 25 July 2007

SABC blacklist hearing postponed

The South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) has not yet introduced all the recommendations arising from a probe into its commentator blacklist, the broadcaster said on Wednesday. Earlier, the Independent Communications Authority of South Africa postponed a hearing into the blacklist issue at the SABC’s request.

No image available
/ 25 July 2007

McBride defamation case back in court

The case in which Robert McBride is suing the Citizen newspaper for R3,6-million for defamation resumed in Johannesburg on Wednesday. Testifying in court, acting editor of the Citizen Martin Williams said the published articles stating that McBride was not suitable for the position of chief of metro police in Ekurhuleni were because of his criminal record.

No image available
/ 25 July 2007

Rainy conditions persist in W Cape

Rain continued to fall in the Western Cape on Wednesday following the occurrence of a cold front in the area this week. Spokesperson for the South African Weather Service Mnikeli Ndabambi said rainy conditions would continue until the end of the week. ”Cold and rainy conditions will persist until the end of the week,” said Ndabambi.

No image available
/ 25 July 2007

Man arrested over Sexwale hijacking

A 28-year-old man is expected to appear in court in connection with the hijacking of Judy Sexwale outside a school last week, Gauteng police said on Wednesday. Police spokesperson Sergeant Sanku Tsunke said the man would appear in the Wynberg Magistrate’s Court on Thursday. He faces charges of armed robbery and hijacking.

No image available
/ 25 July 2007

Guard killed in Mthatha hostage drama

Thirteen hostages were rescued from a supermarket in Mthatha on Tuesday night after being held hostage by a gang of gunmen. Eastern Cape police said the hostage takers had escaped. Guards were collecting money inside the Boxer supermarket on Callaway Street when the gang stormed into the shop.

No image available
/ 24 July 2007

Charges against Mathe’s father withdrawn

Zaphanias Mathe, the father of prison escapee Annanias Mathe, was released from jail after the state withdrew all charges against him on Tuesday. An attorney at the Oliveira Serrao law firm, Nereyde Namitete, said the toxicology report found that the substance that the older Mathe tried to smuggle inside the C-Max prison in Pretoria contained nothing illegal.

No image available
/ 24 July 2007

Icasa to hear complaint over SABC blacklisting

The South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) will be asked to explain last year’s blacklisting of political commentators and analysts to an Independent Communications Authority of South Africa (Icasa) hearing on Wednesday. The Freedom of Expression Institute has complained that the blacklistings constituted a violation of the SABC’s licence conditions.

No image available
/ 24 July 2007

Hostage drama under way in E Cape

A number of people were being held hostage at a supermarket in Mthatha on Tuesday afternoon, Eastern Cape police said. Superintendent Mzukisi Fatyela said police believed two armed men, part of a gang that robbed the store at about 1pm, were holding staff at gunpoint by 4pm.