No image available
/ 18 July 2007

Hani killers invite SACP to question them

Janusz Walus and Clive Derby-Lewis, convicted killers of South African Communist Party (SACP) leader Chris Hani, on Wednesday invited leaders of the SACP to visit them in jail and ask any questions about the murder. Their legal representative faxed a letter to SACP secretary general Blade Nzimande inviting a delegation to meet them and their lawyers.

No image available
/ 18 July 2007

Seven killed in KZN bus accident

Seven people died in a bus accident on KwaZulu-Natal’s (KZN) South Coast on Wednesday afternoon, authorities said. Speaking earlier from the accident scene, Victor Chetty, director of protection services for the Hibiscus Coast, said six people had died at the accident in Southbroom and eight were critically injured.

No image available
/ 18 July 2007

Baby-killer accused withdraw bail applications

Three women who confessed to the killing of a baby and burying the body in a yard abandoned their bail applications in court on Wednesday. They appeared in the Mamelodi Magistrate’s Court in Pretoria, which postponed the case to August 28. The women are 34-year-old Cecilia Mokgabane Seale, Rosinah Show, an aunt, and Thandi Martha Matubane, the midwife.

No image available
/ 18 July 2007

SA’s May retail sales surge

South African retail-sales growth jumped to 9% year-on-year in May at constant prices, official data showed on Wednesday, adding pressure on the Reserve Bank to raise interest rates further. Statistics South Africa said the sales growth surged from an upwardly revised 5,9% in April, lifting the number for the three months to May to 8,5%.

No image available
/ 18 July 2007

DA-govt spat over Zim refugees continues

The spat between the Democratic Alliance (DA) and the Department of Home Affairs over the handling of Zimbabweans fleeing to South Africa continued on Wednesday. Home Affairs Minister Nosiviwe Mapisa-Nqakula ”has no idea” of the volumes of Zimbabwean refugees who will flow into South Africa over the next few months, the DA’s Mark Lowe said.

No image available
/ 18 July 2007

SABC’s new channel to focus on Africa

South Africa’s public broadcaster will this week launch a rolling news network that aims to provide an African perspective in a market previously dominated by Western broadcasters. South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) News International will be officially launched by President Thabo Mbeki on July 20.

No image available
/ 17 July 2007

Soccer legends give Madiba special gift

Brazilian soccer great Pele and three-time African player of the year Samuel Eto’o of Cameroon delivered a special birthday gift on Tuesday to former South African president Nelson Mandela. The players are among 50 past and present international stars taking part in a soccer friendly to mark his 89th birthday on Wednesday.

No image available
/ 17 July 2007

N2 Gateway housing protest slams govt

Strong anti-government sentiment was evident at a housing protest outside Parliament’s main gate in Cape Town on Tuesday. Residents of the city’s problem-ridden N2 Gateway housing project had marched on the institution to bring their grievances about high rentals and poor construction to the attention of Housing Minister Lindiwe Sisulu.

No image available
/ 17 July 2007

Vodacom seeks second interdict, says union

Vodacom is going to court again, this time to prevent striking workers from violence and damaging property, the Communication Workers’ Union said on Tuesday. Vodacom lodged an application for the second interdict last week and the matter would be heard on Wednesday, said CWU spokesperson Mfanafuthi Sithebe.

No image available
/ 17 July 2007

Hairy situation for SA men

Most South African women prefer their men hairless, at least when it comes to body hair, according to a survey released on Tuesday by Dutch shaving product manufacturer Royal Philips Electronics. The Philips Bodygroom Survey also found over half of the men who had taken part ”admitted to attempting to trim, shave or wax” their body hair.

No image available
/ 17 July 2007

Govt rejects DA call for Zim refugee camps

The Department of Home Affairs on Tuesday rejected the Democratic Alliance’s (DA) call for the government to set up refugee camps for Zimbabweans fleeing their country. Cleo Mosana, spokesperson for Home Affairs Minister Nosiviwe Mapisa-Nqakula, accused the official opposition party of exploiting the Zimbabwean situation for publicity.

No image available
/ 17 July 2007

Vlok trial ‘must not be seen as a witch-hunt’

The National Prosecution Authority’s decision to prosecute apartheid-era minister of law and order Adriaan Vlok must not be seen as a witch-hunt, the South African Human Rights Commission said on Tuesday. Vlok, former police chief Johann van der Merwe and three former high-ranking police officers will appear in court for attempted murder next month.

No image available
/ 17 July 2007

Birthday gifts roll in for Madiba

Former British prime minister Tony Blair is one of hundreds of well-wishers across the globe who have sent gifts to anti-apartheid icon Nelson Mandela for his 89th birthday on Wednesday. ”We have received a deluge of gifts and messages,” said Boniswa Qabaka-Nyeti, a spokesperson at the flagship Nelson Mandela Foundation.

No image available
/ 17 July 2007

White eyes ‘Zulu haka’ for the Boks

South Africa’s rugby team, smarting from a weekend defeat at the hands of New Zealand, look set to unleash their own version of the All Blacks’ famous haka, based on an old Zulu war dance. Springbok coach Jake White said he had asked the rugby authorities about reviving a dance that was last used more than 80 years ago in order to psyche up his players.

No image available
/ 17 July 2007

Bok focus now shifts to World Cup

Having completed their Tri-Nations campaign in Christchurch on Saturday, the Springboks will now turn their attention to France and the World Cup, starting in Paris in September. While the 1995 world champions failed to make a telling impact on the southern hemisphere rugby championship, coach Jake White will be fairly happy with his team’s performance.

No image available
/ 16 July 2007

Horror crash as fire engine, bus collide

Seven people were killed in a collision between a bus and a fire engine in Port Shepstone in KwaZulu-Natal on Monday. The crash claimed the lives of three firemen and four bus passengers, six of whom died on the scene. Police spokesperson Zandra Hechter said the seventh accident victim died in the Port Shepstone Provincial Hospital.