Detainees link SAP men to Renamo

A number of people detained in the Eastern Transvaal in the last few months have signed affidavits that suggest that Renamo, the Mozambican rebel movement, has had the co-operation of members of the SA Police.

The detainees have alleged that members of the police brought Renamo representatives to the prison, where they interviewed detainees to gather current information on Mozambique and about possible recruitment into Renamo.

The allegations have been made in sworn affidavits drawn up by former detainees who are considering taking legal action against the police for wrongful arrest and assault. This would indicate that individual members of the South African Police were assisting Renamo as recently as April this year, more than a year after the Nkomati Accord.

The Minister of Foreign Affairs Pik Botha said in March this year that members of the Defence Force suspected of assisting Renamo had either been sacked or moved away from Mozambique. The latest revelations took place after March and — for the first time – involved allegations levelled at members of the SAP, rather than the Defence Force.

The story emerged after the Black Sash investigated a series of claims by Tembisa residents that young Shangaan men – many of whom had reference books and housing permits to prove they were born in South Africa – were being detained without trial as illegal immigrants and maltreated in order to make them confess they were Mozambicans. Many of these people were arrested on the Reef and then taken to Nelspruit for detention. Others were detained at the Komatiepoort border post.


Observers were mystified by these detentions and only recently — when the link with Renamo became apparent – did a possible reason for the arrests emerge. One of these detainees, Peter Mabaso, spoke to the Weekly Mail this week. He claims he went to Mozambique last December to visit friends in Maputo.

On his return on January 6, after having passed through the Mozambican passport control, he was apprehended on the South African side by a black and a white policeman. He gave their names as Gunther and Vilikazi.

Although his papers, a reference book and international passport were in order, he was arrested as a suspected illegal immigrant and taken with other suspects to the Malelane police station where he was held until 3 February. He claims that during this time people from Renamo visited the cells on a number of occassions.

People were taken out of the cells one by one and asked about Mozambique. Some said they had been asked whether they wanted to join Renamo.On the 28th March Mabaso appeared in court in Barberton. His case was dismissed.

While trying to make his way back to Johannesburg he passed through Nelspruit where he was seen by a black policeman calling himself Shongwe who re-arrested him. He was held at the Nelspruit police station but was taken to an office at the Department of Co-operation and Development where he alleged that he was maltreated until he confused that he was a Mozambican.

Once he agreed to say he was a Mozambican a white man came and spoke to him about Renamo. It was suggested to him that he would required to join Renamo in order to avoid continued imprisonment.

The Weekly Mail is aware of other similar cases that support the allegation that Renamo has had accessed detainees being held in various Eastern Transvaal police station.

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Janet Wilhelm
Guest Author

Related stories

Advertising

Subscribers only

How lottery execs received dubious payments through a private company

The National Lottery Commission is being investigated by the SIU for alleged corruption and maladministration, including suspicious payments made to senior NLC employees between 2016 and 2017

Pandemic hobbles learners’ futures

South African schools have yet to open for the 2021 academic year and experts are sounding the alarm over lost learning time, especially in the crucial grades one and 12

More top stories

Zuma, Zondo play the waiting game

The former president says he will talk once the courts have ruled, but the head of the state capture inquiry appears resigned to letting the clock run out as the commission's deadline nears

Disinformation harms health and democracy

Conspiracy theorists abuse emotive topics to suck the air out of legitimate debate and further their own sinister agendas

Uganda: ‘I have never seen this much tear-gas in an...

Counting was slow across Uganda as a result of the internet shutdown, which affected some of the biometric machines used to validate voter registrations.

No way out for Thales in arms deal case, court...

The arms manufacturer has argued that there was no evidence to show that it was aware of hundreds of indirect payments to Jacob Zuma, but the court was not convinced.
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…