Mpla Mercenaries Will Not Be Executed

Stefaans Brummer

ANGOLA’s rebel Unita movement has given a qualified assurance it will not execute captured South African “mercenaries” after an appeal for clemency by Deputy President Thabo Mbeki.

At least two South Africans working for the Pretoria-based company Executive Outcomes — whose personnel ostensibly train soldiers of the MPLA government — fell into Unita hands in Angola’s northern diamond-rich province Lunda Norte on July 15 when their Angolan government aircraft was shot down by the rebels.

Executive Outcomes has refused to name the captured men — a pilot and an administrator — saying their families did not want their identities known. It disputes Unita claims that “about five” men were travelling in the light aircraft and that three survivors were being held.


The company’s managing director, Eben Barlow, said this week the downed aircraft was a Swiss Pilatus turbo-trainer, which carries only two people. He said it had been shot down while on a routine flight to a training camp, and the Angolan government and Executive Outcomes had launched a massive search. “If we find them, we will get them out.”

Fears for the men’s safety were based on previous statements by Unita that it would “publicly execute” any South African mercenaries it captured.

After Mbeki’s appeal Unita’s Lisbon representative Jaema Bento told the Mail & Guardian this week: “They will not be executed if the South African government accedes to get them (Executive Outcomes personnel) all out of Angola.”

Pressed on Mbeki’s appeal, he conceded: “He (Mbeki) asked for it. We have already said we will not kill them.”

Bento would not reveal the captives’ whereabouts, but said he believed they were well. He said their release would be subject to negotiations and that “as far as I know” this was the first time Unita had captured Executive Outcomes personnel.

Foreign Affairs spokesman Jacques Malan sketched a less rosy scenario. “We did make contact with Unita, but to get that information filtered down to the ground where they are being held can be difficult, even for Unita.

“It is hellishly difficult to assist these people; that’s why we previously warned them, ‘If you get into trouble, you’re on your own’.”

He said Foreign Affairs was awaiting feedback from Unita after a high-level meeting of its leaders in Huambo, the rebel headquarters, this week.

Meanwhile, Unita radio claimed this week to have killed 50 Executive Outcome personnel in battles in Lunda Norte between July 18 and 25, and a total of more than 125 foreign mercenaries in the past 15 months.

Barlow dismissed this as propaganda and said that only 15 of his employees had died — of malaria, in training accidents and in Unita attacks.

* Two Cape Town diamond divers were released by Unita on Tuesday after 16 days’ captivity. Douglas van der Merwe and Riaan Richter were captured by the rebel movement apparently while working a riverbed on the border between Zaire and Angola.

Van der Merwe’s father, CP van der Merwe, said a “private person” had secured their release after the families were advised “it’s best to do it the African way”. He said the two men were safe in Zaire.

Subscribe to the M&G for R2 a month

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

And for this weekend only, you can become a subscriber by paying just R2 a month for your first three months.

Related stories

2019: The ones who left us

From Uyinene Mrwetyana, Oliver Mtukudzi to Xolani Gwala, Mail & Guardian remembers those who have passed on

More battles ahead for domestic worker unions

Florence Sosiba, speaks to the Mail & Guardian about how important domestic workers are and exclusion in the COIDA

“Life has been good to me, considering where I come from” – Xolani Gwala

Just over a year ago, veteran radio presenter Xolani Gwala’s cancer was in remission. He spoke to the Mail & Guardian once he was back on air.

Kanya Cekeshe’s lawyer appeals decision not to grant him bail to the high court

Kanya Cekeshe’s legal team filed an urgent appeal at the Johannesburg high court on Tuesday against Monday’s judgment by magistrate Theunis Carstens.

Leader’s principal aim to build IFP

Gravitas: Velenkosini Hlabisa brings his experience to his new post as leader of the Inkatha Freedom Party.

Police Minister Bheke Cele addresses Jeppestown

Police minister Bheki Cele visited Jeppestown on Tuesday to speak to business owners and community leaders.
Advertising

Subscribers only

ANC: ‘We’re operating under conditions of anarchy’

In its latest policy documents, the ANC is self-critical and wants ‘consequence management’, yet it’s letting its members off the hook again

Q&A Sessions: ‘I think I was born way before my...

The chief executive of the Estate Agency Affairs Board and the deputy chair of the SABC board, shares her take on retrenchments at the public broadcaster and reveals why she hates horror movies

More top stories

DRC: Tshisekedi and Kabila fall out

The country’s governing coalition is under strain, which could lead to even more acrimony ahead

Editorial: Crocodile tears from the coalface

Pumping limited resources into a project that is predominantly meant to extend dirty coal energy in South Africa is not what local communities and the climate needs.

Klipgat residents left high and dry

Flushing toilets were installed in backyards in the North West, but they can’t be used because the sewage has nowhere to go

Nehawu leaders are ‘betraying us’

The accusation by a branch of the union comes after it withdrew from a parliamentary process
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…