Lawyer: Zuma ‘rape’ probe incomplete

The police investigation into rape allegations against Jacob Zuma is incomplete, his lawyer said on Tuesday.

Mike Hulley said Zuma will therefore not comment on the claim.

”We are advised that such investigations remain incomplete and that a further period is warranted in order to complete such investigation under the direction of the National Prosecuting Authority,” he said in a statement.

Zuma acknowledges that the police are the appropriate agency to deal with allegations and should be allowed to complete their work free from interference and speculation.

The former deputy president, out of respect for due process, will reserve further comment on the matter until the police have completed their probe.

”We feel that such an approach is in keeping with the integrity with which the police have dealt with the investigation, in contrast with that of some media organisations.”

The National Prosecuting Authority last week received a docket from the police on rape allegations against Zuma.

Without identifying the alleged perpetrator by name, NPA spokesperson Makhosini Nkosi said on Thursday: ”We can confirm receipt of a docket from the police about rape. No decision has been taken yet on that particular matter.”

The law prohibits the NPA from naming an accused before a court appearance.

The authority now has to make a decision, based on the contents of the docket, on whether to prosecute.

Nkosi would not say what the police recommended in that regard, though the Sunday Times reported at the weekend that the police recommended that Zuma be prosecuted for rape.

Once a decision has been taken, National Director of Public Prosecutions Vusi Pikoli or someone acting on his behalf will make an announcement, Nkosi said.

Immediate comment from the NPA on Zuma’s statement on Tuesday was not available.

According to various media reports, a 31-year-old woman said she was raped at Zuma’s house in Forest Town, Johannesburg, in early November.

Zuma has denied the rape allegation. He goes to court in July next year to defend himself against charges of corruption, which he has also denied.

Many of Zuma’s supporters believe there is a campaign against him to stop him becoming the next president of the African National Congress.

We make it make sense

If this story helped you navigate your world, subscribe to the M&G today for just R30 for the first three months

Subscribers get access to all our best journalism, subscriber-only newsletters, events and a weekly cryptic crossword.”

Sapa Author
Guest Author
Sapa Afp
Guest Author

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Latest stories

South African Federation of Trade Unions membership numbers decline

Saftu general secretary Zwelinzima Vavi says the dwindling numbers are a result of the economic crisis and other factors

Route closure may be extended as talks between Western Cape...

The reopening of Route B97 without an agreement may result in a flood of illegal taxi operators and reignite taxi violence

Red tape is strangling small businesses

People in countries such as Brazil, India and China are two to three times more likely to be entrepreneurs than South Africans.

Can Panyaza Lesufi save the ANC in Gauteng come 2024?

With the Gauteng provincial conference around the corner, West Rand regional secretary Sanele Ngweventsha argues that Lesufi might give them the edge in 2024.
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×