Agliotti case postponed to January
The case of Glenn Agliotti, accused in the murder of mining magnate Brett Kebble, was postponed to January 22 in the Johannesburg Magistrate’s Court on Friday.
Both prosecution and defence lawyers agreed and appealed to the court to postpone the matter to allow the prosecution to further investigate the criminal charges against Agliotti.
“We are not ready,” said Scorpions prosecutor Gerrie Nel.
Agliotti, who stands accused of murder and conspiracy to commit murder, looked calm as he chatted to his lawyers before proceedings started. He wore a black suit with a red tie.
Speaking to reporters afterwards, Nel said two cases were still pending and two investigations were still under way.
“This is one matter in an ongoing extensive organised-crime investigation. Decisions on one matter will affect the others.”
He said these included drug-dealing charges against Agliotti, fraud investigations and the asset stripping of JCI and Randgold and Exploration.
The two companies were headed by Kebble.
Nel said efforts were still ongoing to extradite John Stratton, a co-director of JCI, from Australia.
“He is a role-player ...
once we’ve dotted all the i’s and crossed all the t’s we will bring the extradition order,” he said.
It has been alleged that Stratton was Agliotti’s accomplice in Kebble’s murder in September 2005.
“Agliotti will not be the only accused, that I will say,” said Nel.
Nel would not comment on whether Agliotti had turned state witness against his friend, police National Commissioner Jackie Selebi.
There have been extensive media reports on warrants of arrest believed to have been issued for Selebi late last month.
Selebi’s friendship with an alleged criminal has also been widely criticised.
Nel said he was confidant that a trial date would be set on January 22.
Agliotti was arrested late last year and released on bail of R500Â 000 on December 13 2006.
He was placed under 24-hour house arrest at his home in Bryanston.
Agliotti is due to appear in the Germiston Magistrate’s Court on Tuesday, this time facing the drug-dealing charges.
He and three others—Stephanos Paparas, his father Dimitrio and Stanley Poonin, will be tried for their alleged involvement in a syndicate.
The syndicate was allegedly on the verge of exporting R250-million worth of drugs to the United States.—Sapa