Sudan party slams ex-rebels’ pull-out from govt

Sudan’s National Congress Party (NCP) of President Omar al-Bashir on Friday criticised the decision by former southern rebels to withdraw from the Khartoum government, accusing them of selling out to foreign interests.

“The heart of the problem is that a group within the Sudan People’s Liberation Movement [SPLM] wants to end our partnership,” the northern NCP’s number two, Nafie Ali Nafie, told an overnight news conference.

“This group thinks that in allying itself with foreign parties [the United States] it can destroy our political project.”


Former rebels from the SPLM announced it was pulling out of the government on Thursday because of what it called Khartoum’s failure to honour a 2005 peace accord, which ended a more than two-decade civil war.

The SPLM said key problems were the failure to withdraw northern troops from the south, the fate of the disputed oil-rich region of Abiye and “the evolution of democracy in Sudan”, adding that the group would return to government once the differences were resolved.

Nafie acknowledged an “impasse” over Abiye but said 87,4% of northern troops had pulled back from the south while southern forces had only withdrawn 6,7% of their men from the north.

Another Congress leader said that in the main the Comprehensive Peace Agreement (CPA) signed by the two sides in 2005 was making good progress.

Sayed al-Khatib said: “The main merit of the CPA is that it allowed for war to stop. There has not been a single gunshot since 2005.”

The south-north war had lasted 21 years and caused at least 1,5-million casualties.

The withdrawal has hit preparations for talks due in Libya later this month on the troubled western region of Darfur amid reports that Khartoum forces and their allied Janjaweed militias have intensified attacks on the rebels, including the SPLM — the only faction to have signed a peace deal.

The October 27 talks in the Libyan resort of Syrte is the latest international effort to end a four-year-old war which the United Nations estimates has killed at least 200 000 people. — AFP

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Related stories

Advertising

Subscribers only

The South African connection: How mercenaries aided Trump ally in...

The UN found that Trump ally Erik Prince violated the Libyan arms embargo. Here are the South Africans the report says helped him to do so

Q&A Sessions: African court ‘will be a tough job’ — Dumisa...

Lawyer, author and political activist Dumisa Ntsebeza talks to Nicolene de Wee about his appointment as judge of the African Court on Human and...

More top stories

In a bizarre twist VBS liquidators sue KPMG for R863mn

In filed court documents, the VBS liquidators are blaming auditing firm KPMG’s negligence for the alleged looting of the bank

Snip, snip: Mboweni eyes wage bill, other future spending cuts

Last year, the finance minister noted that increased government spending has failed to promote growth over the past decade

Budget: Mboweni pegs recovery hopes on vaccine efficacy, lower public...

The treasury forecasts 3.3% growth, but warns this will fall to 1.6% if the fledgeling vaccination programme fails to stem successive Covid waves

READ IT IN FULL: Mboweni’s 2021 budget speech

Read the finance minister's address on the budget for 2021
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…