Jordaan: Strike won’t affect World Cup draw

The strike at the 2010 stadium in Durban will not affect the preliminary draw of the Soccer World Cup, local organising committee CEO Danny Jordaan said on Wednesday.

The ongoing strike could spread to other 2010 Soccer World Cup stadiums that are under construction, as well as the high-speed Gautrain, the National Union of Mineworkers (NUM) said earlier in the day.

At a march through the Durban city centre on Wednesday, the NUM’s KwaZulu-Natal organiser Bonginkosi Mncwabe said there may be disruptions to the preliminary draw for the World Cup set to be held at Durban’s International Convention Centre.

Jordaan said efforts are under way to resolve the dispute at the Moses Mabhida Stadium as soon as possible. “We are meeting with the city manager tomorrow [Thursday], when he will brief us regarding the development. Any dispute must be resolved in the quickest possible time.”

Workers at the stadium went on strike last week demanding better wages and monthly project bonuses of R1 500.


“The preliminary draw is of paramount importance to us as the organising committee. We have a unique opportunity to demonstrate our ability to organise a world-class event to an expectant local, continental and international community,” Jordaan said.

“This is our first opportunity to host a preliminary draw that will really capture the attention of the world … as South Africans we need to hold together and be one team.”

The draw will determine the playing groups for the 2010 World Cup in South Africa.

Some of the country’s best musicians have been lined up to perform. They include Lebo M of Lion King fame, Judith Sephuma, the Soweto String Quartet, Afrotenors and Freshlyground.

President Thabo Mbeki, Fifa president Joseph Blatter and some of the world best footballers will attend the event.

The draw will be conducted by Fifa general secretary Jeromy Valcke assisted by Kaizer Motaung, Jomo Sono and Lucas Radebe of South Africa, Ali Daei (Iran), George Weah (Liberia), Abeli Pele Ayew (Ghana), Kasey Keller (United States) and Marcel Desailly (France).

The NUM said in a statement on Wednesday that it had issued notices for secondary strikes to major construction employers involved in the building of 2010 projects. Its actions comply with labour law, it said.

“While Group Five and WBHO repeatedly made statements suggesting an interest in talks in the media, they literally removed the initial offers on the table and refuse to bargain further. We are convinced, they are just not interested in talks,” said the union’s construction-sector coordinator, Bhekani Ngcobo.

He said that in terms of the impending sympathy strikes, the construction industry could come to a standstill with all 2010 projects grinding to a halt — including the Gautrain. — Sapa

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Related stories

Question marks surround Madagascar’s Covid-19 ‘miracle cure’

Despite Malagasy President Andry Rajoelina’s claims of a cure for Covid-19, experts say ‘there is absolutely no evidence’ that is true

Soundtrack to a pandemic: Africa’s best coronavirus songs

Drawing on lessons from Ebola, African artists are using music to convey public health messaging. And they are doing it in style

PSL falls in line and suspends football

It’s officially official, we will have no football in the country until further notice

Safa: There will be no football, our decision is final

Danny Jordaan has laid down the law and forbid behind-closed doors matches from going ahead.

Minister greenlights sports to continue behind closed doors

Sports, Arts and Culture Minister Nathi Mthethwa has made clear that the government is not opposed to games going ahead without spectators provided they adhere to strict safety protocols

Why the Nedbank Cup will never be the same again

With a nation watching, Jomo Cosmos is one side look to use the Nedbank Cup to rediscover their prestige.
Advertising

Subscribers only

The shame of 40 000 missing education certificates

Graduates are being left in the lurch by a higher education department that is simply unable to deliver the crucial certificates proving their qualifications - in some cases dating back to 1992

The living nightmare of environmental activists who protest mine expansion

Last week Fikile Ntshangase was gunned down as activists fight mining company Tendele’s expansions. Community members tell the M&G about the ‘kill lists’ and the dread they live with every day

More top stories

Fifteen witnesses for vice-chancellor probe

Sefako Makgatho University vice-chancellor Professor Peter Mbati had interdicted parliament last month from continuing with the inquiry

Constitutional Court ruling on restructuring dispute is good for employers

A judgment from the apex court empowers employers to change their workers’ contracts — without consultation

Audi Q8: Perfectly cool

The Audi Q8 is designed to be the king in the elite SUV class. But is it a victim of its own success?

KZN officials cash in on ‘danger pay for Covid-19’

Leadership failures at Umdoni local municipality in KwaZulu-Natal have caused a ‘very unhappy’ ANC PEC to fire the mayor and chief whip
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday