Cyclone kills nearly 4 000 in Burma

Burma said on Monday that nearly 4 000 people had been killed in the cyclone that tore into the impoverished and secretive Asian nation at the weekend, and that tens of thousands more could also be dead.

The announcement on state television increased the death toll from Tropical Cyclone Nargis more than ten-fold in Burma, which has been under military rule for decades and is one of the poorest on the planet.

The United Nations had earlier said hundreds of thousands of people had been left homeless when the storm, packing winds of 190km per hour, ripped through the countryside, destroying entire villages in its fury.

Thousands of buildings were flattened as the furious cyclone also ripped power lines to shreds, uprooted trees that blocked key roads and disrupted water supplies in the main city and former capital, Rangoon.

“I haven’t seen anything like this in my whole life,” said one elderly resident.


Nargis struck Burma late on Friday around the mouth of the Irrawaddy River, about 220km south-west of Rangoon, before hitting the country’s economic hub.

As aid agencies struggled to rush emergency supplies of food and water into the country, the ruling junta vowed to press ahead with a referendum this weekend on a new Constitution.

But that was before the release of the dramatically higher death toll, announced on Burma television — which like all media in the nation, under military rule since 1962, is strictly controlled by the government.

“So far, in Ayeyawaddy [Irrawaddy] and Yangon [Rangoon] division, 3 969 were killed, 41 people injured and 2 129 missing,” the news bulletin said.

“According to the information that we have as of May 5, there could be tens of thousands dead in Bogolay township and thousands more dead in Labutta township,” it said.

The report will come as more bad news for aid organisations battling the devastation on the ground and the intricacies of getting supplies and personnel into a nation which is one of the most isolated in the world.

Well before the latest figures emerged, the International Federation of the Red Cross said in a preliminary estimate that several villages had been destroyed — wiped out in toto by one of the worst storms here in memory.

The winds combined with a sea surge in the Bay of Bengal, wreaking devastation in a country where the military normally imposes tough restrictions on the activities of aid agencies.

Richard Horsey, a UN official in neighbouring Thailand, said that several hundred thousand people had been left homeless and without drinking water across a broad swath of the country.

“If we look at the emergency needs for shelter and drinking water, there are several hundred thousand people who will need urgent assistance,” he said.

UN agencies and other international aid groups met earlier on Monday in Bangkok to begin coordinating a response.

Hundreds of monks joined in efforts by residents, police and troops to clear blocked roads, while the homeless huddled under makeshift shelters at Buddhist temples.

The military government said Saturday’s referendum on a new Constitution intended to usher in democracy would go ahead, but with food prices tripling and water supplies cut, residents said they had more pressing problems.

“We don’t want any democracy, said one man queuing urgently at a neighbour’s well. “We just want water now.”

The junta, whose power base is now the new remote capital of Naypyidaw, said “the entire people of the country are eagerly looking forward” to the referendum, according to the official New Light of Myanmar newspaper.

Burma has also suffered more than a decade of US and European sanctions over the continuing detention of democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi.

Sanctions were tightened after the junta’s crackdown on mass protests last September left 31 people dead, according to UN figures. – AFP

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Related stories

Advertising

Subscribers only

Ithala fails to act against board chairperson over PPE scandal

Morar asked to settle with the state and pay back the profit he made on an irregular tender

Vodacom swindled out of more than R24m worth of iPhones

A former employee allegedly ran an intricate scam to steal 8700 phones from the cellular giant

More top stories

North West premier in phone tapping claims

‘Agents’ working for Job Mokgoro allegedly tapped ANC and cabinet members’ phones

Judicial Conduct Committee orders Mogoeng to apologise for his remarks...

The JCC said that by the chief justice straying into politics, he breached the judicial conduct code and ordered him to issue an apology and retraction

‘Doctors’ wives’ jump Covid queue

Private doctors and civilians have been exploiting gaps in the public health system to get vaccinated

DA admits it cannot cut ANC support to less than...

The official opposition’s leader John Steenhuisen has called its mission to slash the ANC voter share unrealistic during a parliamentary meeting, as the party deals with financial challenges and a fresh round of staff retrenchments
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…