Get more Mail & Guardian
Subscribe or Login

US embassy in Yemen hit by car bombing

The United States embassy in the Yemeni capital, Sana’a, was hit by a car bombing and rocket fire on Wednesday, sparking a series of explosions around the heavily fortified compound, a witness said.

The car was blown up in front of the entrance to the compound and gunmen in a second vehicle then opened fire on embassy security guards with rockets as well as small arms, the witness said.

The witness said there were casualties among the Yemeni police detachment posted outside the embassy but he could not specify their number or condition.

Another witness saw at least two ambulances at the scene.

A US embassy official declined to comment on the blasts. ”I cannot confirm it. I cannot talk about it,” the official said, asking not to be identified.

It was the second attack on the embassy this year. In March, a schoolgirl and a police officer were killed and 19 people wounded in a hail of mortar fire that US diplomats said targeted the embassy.

After another attack against a residential compound used by US oilmen the following month, the US State Department ordered the evacuation of non-essential diplomatic staff.

Al-Qaeda said it carried out the rocket attack on the Hadda residential compound to avenge the capture of one its commanders in Yemen, Abdullah al-Rimi.

”Embassy employees are not authorised to travel outside of Sana’a and have been advised to avoid hotels, restaurants, and tourist areas and to strictly limit their exposure in public places until further notice,” an embassy statement said in April.

The embassy called on Americans in Yemen to ”exercise caution and take prudent security measures, including maintaining a high level of vigilance, avoiding crowds and demonstrations, keeping a low profile, varying times and routes for all travel”.

In recent years, militants have carried out a string of attacks in Yemen, the ancestral homeland of al-Qaeda chief Osama bin Laden and one of the poorest countries on the planet.

In October 2000, al-Qaeda attacked American warship the USS Cole off the southern port of Aden, using a small boat packed with explosives to blow a hole in the side of the vessel, killing 17 American sailors.

Al-Qaeda’s local wing, which calls itself Jund Al-Yemen Brigades, has also claimed responsibility for deadly attacks on Belgian and Spanish tourists in Yemen this year.

The country is awash with weapons, with roughly three firearms for every citizen.

It has become a major focus of the US ”war against terror” and the US military has a major base across the Bab al-Mandab strait in Djibouti.

Last month, Yemeni security forces announced the arrest of 30 suspected al-Qaeda members, saying they had dismantled an extremist cell, as part of a crackdown on the jihadist network in the eastern part of the country.

On August 12, the Ministry of Defence announced the death of a local chief and four others belonging to al-Qaeda after armed clashes that left two police officers dead. — Sapa-AFP

Subscribe to the M&G

Thanks for enjoying the Mail & Guardian, we’re proud of our 36 year history, throughout which we have delivered to readers the most important, unbiased stories in South Africa. Good journalism costs, though, and right from our very first edition we’ve relied on reader subscriptions to protect our independence.

Digital subscribers get access to all of our award-winning journalism, including premium features, as well as exclusive events, newsletters, webinars and the cryptic crossword. Click here to find out how to join them.

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

If you’re reading this, you clearly have great taste

If you haven’t already, you can subscribe to the Mail & Guardian for less than the cost of a cup of coffee a week, and get more great reads.

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Subscribers only

Mbeki tells ANC that land without compensation goes against the...

‘This would be a very serious disincentive to investment,’ says Thabo Mbeki in a document arguing that the ANC should not proceed with the Constitutional amendment of section 25

Micro-hydropower lights up an Eastern Cape village

There is hidden potential for small hydropower plants in South Africa

More top stories

Oral submissions to inquiry on local government elections start next...

The hearings will be open to the media and the public, under strict level-three regulations

Education employees queue for Covid jabs, but some may have...

People who have had Covid-19 in the past 30 days or who have had a flu shot in the past 14 days will be vaccinated at a later date

Mabuyakhulu: I took the R1-million, but not from Savoi

The former ANC provincial treasurer says the donation was used to pay for its conference in 2008

NPOs warn of a possible surge in human trafficking

In 2020, the national human-trafficking hotline reported 696 potential victims to authorities for further investigation, a 46.5% increase from the previous year
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×