Get more Mail & Guardian
Subscribe or Login

Israel, Hamas locked in fierce Gaza City clashes

Israeli troops and Palestinian gunmen fought fierce clashes around the Gaza Strip early on Tuesday, as a war on Hamas that has killed more than 900 Palestinians entered its 18th day.

Hamas’s armed wing, the Ezzedine al-Qassam Brigades, told Agence France-Presse (AFP) its forces had destroyed two Israeli tanks in the Gaza City neighbourhood of Zeitun, using rocket-propelled grenades (RPGs).

They also said a number of soldiers were killed in Khuzaa village, east of Khan Yunis near the Israeli border.

An army spokesperson denied any tanks had been knocked out and said there was no report of Israeli casualties.

Medics said one Palestinian was killed by tank fire in Zeitun. It was not clear whether the victim was a fighter or civilian.

As the world awaited a threatened intensification of the offensive by Israel, an AFP correspondent said ”this has been the longest night since the beginning of the war. Time is not moving. It is heavy.”

Israeli tanks, which followed the advance of special forces and were backed up by air strikes, were only 300m to 400m away from his home in southern Gaza City. ”The situation is very dangerous, tonight especially, because of more and more shelling and shooting in our neighbourhood.”

Unbowed by Israel’s military supremacy, the defiant leader of Hamas in the Gaza Strip vowed that the Islamists would emerge victorious.

Ismail Haniya made a rare televised address on Monday only hours after Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert threatened to hit Hamas with an ”iron fist” if it did not end the rocket attacks that the war aims to halt.

”We are approaching victory,” said Haniya, head of the Hamas government in Gaza, which the Islamists seized from forces loyal to moderate Palestinian president Mahmoud Abbas 18 months ago.

”I tell you that after 17 days of this foolish war, Gaza has not been broken and Gaza will not fall,” he added, speaking from an undisclosed location.

Haniya also said the ”blood of children” who have been killed in the conflict would serve as a ”curse which will come back to haunt” United States President George Bush.

Bush has consistently blamed Hamas for the conflict, saying that while he wanted to see a ”sustainable ceasefire”, it was up to Hamas to choose to end its rocket fire.

‘Too many people have died’
Israel and Hamas both ignored a UN Security Council resolution — on which the US abstained — which called last week for a truce.

UN chief Ban Ki-moon, who is to head to the Middle East on Tuesday, called on Israel and Hamas to immediately stop the fighting, saying ”too many people have died”.

The Security Council was to hold closed-door consultations on the crisis later on Tuesday.

The focus of peace efforts has been on an Egyptian proposal for an immediate ceasefire to allow humanitarian aid into impoverished Gaza, talks on opening Gaza’s border crossings and taking steps to prevent arms smuggling.

Olmert said Israel’s key demands were non-negotiable.

”We want to end the operation when the two conditions we have demanded are met: ending the rocket fire and stopping Hamas’s rearmament. If these two conditions are met, we will end our operation in Gaza,” he said.

”Anything else will meet the iron fist of the Israeli people.”

An army spokesperson said nearly 30 missiles had been launched from Gaza on Monday, but no casualties were reported.

Residents said Israeli tanks on Monday punched their way to the southern rim of Gaza City, advancing several hundred metres into the neighbourhoods of Ash Sheikh Ajlin, Tuffah and Zeitun.

”We are tightening the encirclement of the city,” the offensive’s commander, Brigadier Eyal Eisenberg, told reporters.

In the hours after midnight, witnesses said the tanks had moved further in to Ash Sheikh Ajlin, Zeitun and a third neighbourhood, Tal al-Hawa, and were coming under mortar and RPG fire.

A military spokesperson said warplanes had hit more than 60 targets on Monday, including 20 weapons-smuggling tunnels in Rafah, on the Egyptian border, and nine rocket launch sites.

Palestinian Prime Minister Salam Fayyad, whose remit is limited to the West Bank, said the Egyptian initiative offered the best hope of peace, putting pressure on both Israel and Hamas to respond positively.

”He who refuses, voices reservations or moves slowly on this initiative bears the responsibility of explaining themselves, especially to the people of Gaza,” he said.

Arab League chief Amr Mussa said the bloc’s foreign ministers would meet on Friday in Kuwait to discuss the conflict.

Aid deliveries have been massively disrupted by the conflict, with agencies warning that residents are running out of food and even having to burn their furniture to stay warm in the bitterly cold nights.

By late on Monday, Palestinian medics said at least another 26 people had been killed, bringing the overall Palestinian death toll to 918, including 277 children. Another 4 100 have been wounded.

Ten Israeli soldiers and three civilians have been killed in combat or by rocket attacks since the operation began on December 27. — AFP

 

AFP

Subscribe for R500/year

Thanks for enjoying the Mail & Guardian, we’re proud of our 36 year history, throughout which we have delivered to readers the most important, unbiased stories in South Africa. Good journalism costs, though, and right from our very first edition we’ve relied on reader subscriptions to protect our independence.

Digital subscribers get access to all of our award-winning journalism, including premium features, as well as exclusive events, newsletters, webinars and the cryptic crossword. Click here to find out how to join them and get a 57% discount in your first year.

Adel Zaanoun
Adel Zaanoun
Palestinean journalist - AFP

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

If you’re reading this, you clearly have great taste

If you haven’t already, you can subscribe to the Mail & Guardian for less than the cost of a cup of coffee a week, and get more great reads.

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Subscribers only

The South African Bone Marrow Registry celebrates 30 years of...

‘It’s not drilling into bones!’: Misconceptions keep donors away, says SABMR, but a match outside of a patient’s family is a needle in a haystack

R500-million Covid-19 Gauteng hospital contract was irregularly awarded — SIU

The bank accounts of Pro Service Consulting and Thenga Holdings have been frozen

More top stories

With its industrial base decimated, SA’s economy needs real change...

Speaking at a book launch on Tuesday, the finance minister said a focus on manufacturing is critical to stem the country’s deepening unemployment crisis

Defence team cagey about Zuma’s health after state advised he...

The former president was absent from court, but his counsel argued that health matters be left aside, so as to hear his case for the removal of Billy Downer

The South African Bone Marrow Registry celebrates 30 years of...

‘It’s not drilling into bones!’: Misconceptions keep donors away, says SABMR, but a match outside of a patient’s family is a needle in a haystack

New clean fuel standards could be the end of refineries...

In the absence of mechanisms to recoup investment into cleaner fuels, refineries may be faced with tough decisions
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×