Kaka 'turns down £100-million offer'

AC Milan star Kaka reportedly turned down a world record £100-million transfer to Manchester City on Wednesday.

The Brazil international was quoted on the website of Mediaset, the company controlled by Milan president and Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi, as saying that he planned to stay at Milan.

“I have already refused important offers,” Kaka said. “My objective is to become, in the future, the captain of [Milan]. I know there is a hierarchy and [Paolo] Maldini and [Massimo] Ambrosini are before me, but after ...”

The 26-year-old Kaka, whose comments were also posted on Milan’s website, said he wants “to grow old with Milan.” Manchester City has not commented.

Kaka’s spokesperson, Diogo Kotscho, had earlier confirmed that City had made a £100-million bid for the midfielder.

Kotscho told the Associated Press that directors from the English club made the world record offer to AC Milan on Tuesday in a meeting in Milan.

Kotscho said Kaka was not represented in the meeting.

The Abu Dhabi United Group, led by Sheikh Mansour Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, bought Manchester City last September in a deal believed to be worth about £200-million.

The takeover brought a British-record transfer deal of £32,5-million for Brazil forward Robinho, and the new owners have suggested they want to challenge Manchester United and Chelsea as the most successful club in Britain.

City, which has already signed England left back Wayne Bridge this month, is considered the only Premier League club with lots of money to spend during the January transfer window.

City, coached by Mark Hughes, is currently 15th in the 20-team league.
- Sapa-AP

Client Media Releases

Utility outages: looking at the big picture
UKZN scientists get L'Or'eal-UNESCO Women in Science grants
Springbok-mania hits MTN head office
Optimise your SMS campaigns this Black Friday