Samsung unveils world’s first solar-powered phone

Samsung unveiled the world’s first solar-powered cellphone at an industry show in Barcelona on Monday where the sector is showcasing the new technology it hopes will drive demand through the economic crisis.

The South Korean manufacturer put its “Blue Earth” phone on display in front of curious crowds at Mobile World Congress, with industry insiders keen to see its mini solar panels located on the back of the phone.

“This type of device would be ideal for developing markets where workers have long hours and don’t have access to electricity,” commented Nick Lane, chief researcher at consultancy Direct2 Mobile.

“It would also interest consumers with an eye on the ‘green’ aspects, or companies and their CSR [corporate social responsibility] programmes.”

The device is to be launched initially in Europe in the second half of 2009 and is likely to be out of the price range of a worker in the developing world. A Samsung representative said it would be a mid- to high-end handset.


A full charge taking 10 to 14 hours in the sun would offer about four hours of talk time. The phone can also be charged normally via a plug, with the solar panels used to top up the battery to extend its power.

Fellow South Korean manufacturer LG Electronics also put a prototype solar-powered phone on display here, but the company has no launch date or name for the device.

The Mobile World Congress, which runs from Monday to Thursday, is the world’s biggest cellphone show and is set to bring together 60 000 industry insiders from 1 200 companies, according to the organisers, the GSM Association.

All the major network operators such as Vodafone, MTN and China Mobile are present, as well as the major handset makers including new entrant Acer, a computer manufacturer from Taiwan.

Acer unveiled its first range of high-end phones, with the first four models set to go on sale in March or April and another six handsets to follow, marketing manager Sylvia Pan told AFP.

The touch-screen phones, demonstrated here mostly in black with a design that resembles the top-selling Apple iPhone, will connect to the internet via a wifi connection and a high-speed mobile network.

The move illustrates two trends in the cellphone industry: the growing attractiveness of the high-end market for “smart phones” and the arrival of traditional laptop computer makers in this segment.

Laptop maker Toshiba already manufactures handsets and rumours abound that United States rival Dell is preparing to launch a range of sophisticated smart phones enabling users to surf the internet, send emails or watch videos.

Sales of cellphones are set to fall this year for the first time according to market research group Gartner, but demand for high-end phones is set to increase.

As well as the launches and new industry initiatives, the economic crisis is set to cast a pall over the gathering with cost-cutting and survival the new concerns of an industry that has become accustomed to constant growth.

In other news on Monday, Chinese manufacturer Huawei revealed only the second cellphone to integrate an operating system called Android, which has been developed by Internet giant Google.

“We’re going to launch the phone at the end of the year, mainly in Europe,” said Meddy Lu, a press officier for the group, who declined to give any more details on the handset.

Rival developers are battling to create the dominant operating system for cellphones, with Google competing with software giant Microsoft, handset maker Nokia and an open-source Linux-based project.

The first phone to use Android was launched last year in October, the G1, made by Taiwan-based group HTC in partnership with German network operator T-Mobile.

The GSM Association is set to announce a series of industry-wide initiatives to improve standardisation and develop new projects.

It said on Monday that 60 cellphone operators had linked up to develop new “chat” functionality for subscribers.

The aim is to enable phone users to see which of the contacts in their address book is available and then allow them to start instant messaging with a system that would also transfer photos and video.

Chat programmes are available for cellphones, but so far are not synchronised with the address book of a user. The first versions are set to go live in the second half of this year. — AFP

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Related stories

Inside Facebook’s big bet on Africa

New undersea cables will massively increase bandwidth to the continent

Social justice groups call for halt on evictions during the Covid-19 pandemic

Twenty-seven organisations have penned a letter to the presidency calling for evictions to be banned in an effort to protect vulnerable groups

WHO urges calm as China coronavirus death toll reaches 2000

More than 74 000 people have now been infected by the virus in China, with hundreds more cases in some 25 countries

Introducing the Samsung Galaxy S20: Change the way you experience the world

The Samsung Galaxy S20 series features unprecedented AI camera technologies built for the future of communications

How deep can you go in 15 minutes with Ebro?

M&G sat down with ‘Old Man Ebro’ during his Apple Music trip to SA, to see what a few minutes of conversation could produce. Apparently, a lot...

Cellphones the front line for gender equality

Access to cellphones is not an end in itself. Rather, it is a way to level the playing field not only through knowledge, but also through connection
Advertising

Subscribers only

SAA bailout raises more questions

As the government continues to grapple with the troubles facing the airline, it would do well to keep on eye on the impending Denel implosion

ANC’s rogue deployees revealed

Despite 6 300 ANC cadres working in government, the party’s integrity committee has done little to deal with its accused members

More top stories

Catholic NGO boss accused of racism and abuse in Sudan

The aid worker allegedly called his security guard a ‘slave’

Agrizzi too ill to be treated at Bara?

The alleged crook’s “health emergency” — if that is what it is — shows up the flaws, either in our health system or in our leadership as a whole

SANDF hid R200m expenditure on ‘Covid’ drug it can’t use

Military health officials are puzzled by the defence department importing a drug that has not been approved for treating coronavirus symptoms from Cuba

Epic fail: Africa’s Fortnite battle

Forced onto the backfoot by poor ping and overseas servers, African gamers are getting creative in an attempt to play one of the biggest competitive games. In the second instalment of our gaming corner, we chat to some of the innovators
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday