Parliament continues probe into SABC

A parliamentary inquiry into the state of affairs at the South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) is set to continue on Tuesday.

“If everything goes well, we should finalise [on Tuesday]. If we finalise it, it will be in the House on Thursday,” an African National Congress MP told the Star.

The inquiry is expected to propose that the board be dissolved. That proposal will then be put before the National Assembly to allow an interim board to be appointed.

On the weekend, the ninth non-executive member of the SABC board quit.

The series of resignations came as a motion of no-confidence was filed against its chairperson, Khanyi Mkonza, who quit last month.

The board is now left with only three members and no longer has a quorum.

The SABC is facing a financial crisis and is seeking a R2-billion bailout from the government.

The ANC parliamentary caucus last week welcomed the communications committee’s decision to hold an inquiry into the state of the SABC.

“All members of the board, including those that are currently serving the mandatory three months’ resignation notice period, have been summoned to Parliament to give an account on how the institution reached the state it finds itself in today,” a statement from the party read.

“Caucus is satisfied with the committee’s approach to the matter and regards the decision as a clear sign of how seriously Parliament views the current challenges facing the SABC.”

Communications Minister Siphiwe Nyanda said last Tuesday that an interim board for the SABC could be established within a week.

“As we face this crisis, we are looking upon parliamentary process to help pass a motion that will dissolve the current board ... the president will then appoint an interim board,” Nyanda said.—Sapa

Client Media Releases